Chinese-Forums

Travel advice for a Brit moving to China

Rhian

Dear All,

Can you please advise me on a few travel queries;

Do I need to get an HIV/Hep C test before travelling? I am expecting to stay in Anhui province for one year.

Can I buy Peroxide contact lense solution easily in Shanghai/Anhui? For Brits among you, it is the orange Specsavers stuff.

Do you have any recommendations for my forthcoming trip?

Many thanks

Rhian

I take it you will be teaching, if so the medical test that accompanies the foreign residency permit is usually done inside China, and much more cost effective if done here.

I don't know about peroxide contact lense solution.

What's the difference between that contact lense solution and the normal stuff? Is that the lense solution you soak the lenses in for a night or so to clean them?

Other advice: pack lightly, clothes and other amenities are quite cheap around here.

I think you can get just about anything in Shanghai. However, bring a reasonable stock with you as you might not find where straight away. I have one friend here in Anshan who needs a special complex prescription contact lens that he can't get other than Beijing or Shanghai. It causes him allot of stress. I choose the easy option of just wearing glasses instead.

For long term stays of more than 6 months, you are supposed to get a medical in the UK before applying for your visa. This medical form includes spaces for HIV, chest X-ray, ECG and similar tests expensive tests. However, it's up to your doctor how he fills out this form. My doctor just wrote "Not indicated" in the form.

When you get to china, and apply for your residency permit for the full year, you will need to do another medical in at a Chinese clinic. They will do a real HIV and other tests then. The Chinese clinic is comparatively very cheap.