Chinese-Forums

St. John's University in Shanghai

Ian_Lee

• 2 weeks later...

St. John 's university was renowned in Shanghai before 1949 . As I read the autobiography of some Chinese missionaries ,I find many of them were educated in St.John's university . But after the PRC was founded in 1949, the communist party adhered to the principle that there's no god in this world. Therefore it's impossible for universities founded and sponsored by church to survive in this nation and many overseas missionaries fled . As a native shanghaiese, since primary school I'd been brainwashed by the so-called science education and i supported that principle too until 21 years old , when I was then a junior in univesity. Thank our Lord Jesus Christ , who saved me from this place without religious freedom . The contents as follow are cited from www.historyshanghai.com

圣约翰大学是近代上海最著名的教会大学,初为圣约翰书院,美国圣公会施约瑟主教(Bishop Samuel Schereschewsky,1831-1906)在1879年创办,系合并此前已有的培雅(1865年)、度恩(1866年)两学堂而成,校址在梵皇渡路(今万航渡路)。施为俄国籍犹太人,生长于美国,1859年来华,先在北京学汉语,然后在华北从事翻译与传教工作,1877年10月在美国受主教职,1878年10月重来中国。他认为在中国办一所美国式的大学是非常必要,于是开始了这方面的努力。他主持圣约翰的工作首尾4年,1883年因重风而辞职。此后,校务由颜永京等人主持。从1887年起,卜舫济(Francis Lister Hawks Pott,1864-1947)任校长,直至1930年,在任43年,成为对圣约翰影响最大的人。

圣约翰首届学生49人,第二学期增至71人。首任校长为施约瑟。初创时,校舍简陋,程度也不高,“英文之应用极少,学者仅资洋商之翻译,各科均用中国言语教授,初用普通国语,继以学生大半来自苏省,改用本地方言。学生除少数研究神学者外,仅有中等程度”[12]。至1892年,学校才开始正规的大学教育。

在晚清上海教育史上,圣约翰开创性的工作甚多。1881年开始英语教学,首开中国近代教育体制上对学生进行系统英语教学的先河。以后,学校一直保持这一传统,其毕业生以英文程度高而著称。1890年加拿大籍体育教师李蔼门来校,提倡体育运动,首创学校运动会,以后亦成传统,在很长一段时间里,圣约翰体育为上海学校中之翘楚。1900年,学校设立毕业同学会,这是上海学校有同学会的开端。这一组织,日后给学校的发展提供了很大的经济资助。学校先后设文科、理科、神学科、医科,并成立相应的学院。1896年设格致室,后改称科学馆,1904年设罗氏图书馆,1905年定名圣约翰大学,翌年在美国哥伦比亚特区立案,开始对学生授予学位,其性质等同于在美国毕业的学生。学校以“光与真理”为校训,后又加进孔夫子的名句“学而不思则罔,思而不学则殆”。民国年间,校舍屡次扩充。

1952年院系调整时,各院系被分别并入复旦大学、华东师范大学、华东政法学

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

院、同济大学等学校。圣约翰大学遂成一历史名词。

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

圣约翰培育的学生甚多,多在海关、邮政等工商界工作。据统计,从1895年至1920年,共毕业大学生420名,其中16人任牧师,76人任教师,9人为医生,11人为官员,283人在工商界工作,其余25人出国留学。圣约翰大学培育的人才,出名者颇为不少,诸如,外交界的施肇基、顾维钧、史悠明、张祥麟、刁作谦、刁敏谦;医学界的颜福庆、刁信德、牛惠霖、牛惠生;实业界的刘鸿生、刘吉生、张嘉甫、吴清泰、荣毅仁;金融界的周作民;教育界的陈鹤琴;科技界的吴纫之、徐凤石;宗教界的朱友渔、沈志高、毛克宗、汤忠谟。

The son of Mr. Hawks Pott had been the Chancellor of Chung Chi College (the former body of Chinese University) in Hong Kong in the '60s for 8 years.

Mr. Pott Jr just passed away recently.

Actually some PRC diplomats were also St. John's graduates too.