Chinese-Forums

Maximum L-visa duration - living with Z-visa holder for 9-12 months

waldo000000

Quick question: What is the maximum total duration that someone can stay in China as a tourist, including trips to HK for visa renewal?

Context:

I have recieved an offer to work in Beijing for 12 months. The plan is for my partner (we are not married) to accompany me and for us to live together over there.

She is trying to find work, but has not found any thus far. If she can find work, then I assume she should be able to get an employment visa and everything will be fine.

But if she doesn't find work, she will have to apply for a tourist visa, right? The question is, is it likely that she will be able to live with me and stay as a "tourist" for 12 months, even if we have to go to HK to get it renewed? What about 9 months? 6 months?

I think you should be able to do this pretty much indefinitely, as long as you able to make regular trips outside the country. Off the top of my head (so don't take this as gospel) get the longest L visa you can from your local embassy - might be able to get up to three months, one or two is more likely. The PSB should extend that up to three months. Then nip down to HK and you should be able to get a three month tourist visa there. Repeat. However, when you get to HK it may be easier to switch to an F visa, depending on nationality (ie if you aren't a US citizen).

The PSB should extend that up to three months.
Actually, they will extend it twice, for a month each - so if you started off with three months you can get up to 5 without leaving the country. At least I (German) could at the beginning of this year.

I second the recommendation for getting an F-visa in HK. It doesn't take any additional paperwork or anything, and you get 6 months hasslefree.

i thought there was a three month limit to L visa stays (unless you are pulling some particular connections with an employer or something) and so a one month visa could be extended twice, a two month visa once and a three month visa . . nunce. Interesting to know it's actually a two-extensions limit.

Hiya,

I also have a question. I got a 6 month 1 entry visa last week with a jw202 form. I tried to get a multi entry one (in London) but was told it wasn't possible. How do I change this to multi entry as I'm planning on coming back to london, going to hk, and maybe dubai too in the 4 1/2 months I'll be in China.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Liz

roddy, and anyone else, what exactly is a "visa agent"? Specifically,

1. how much do they charge compared to applying directly to the consulate,

2. is it legal to get a visa through them, and

3. is it legal to stay in china on an F-visa (which you got through a visa agent), if you don't meet the F-visa application requirements (i.e. that you have official business, etc, etc)?

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks for you help - I picked up our visas today. My girlfriend and I have (since my original post) got married :-) I applied at the Consulate in Brisbane, Australia for a 180 day business visa for myself and a 180 day tourist visa for my wife. We were granted two 180 day business visas, single entry. We were told that double entry visas had a maximum stay of 90 days, and multi entry visas had a maximum stay of only 30 days, so we opted for the single entry.

I supplied an invitation letter for myself from the company in Beijing, our flight itinerary and our marriage certificate. Hope this helps someone else.

Roy