Chinese-Forums

Pandaaspect? DON'T!

boiten_valise

Are you thinking homestay? If it's too good to be true, then it is. I came to China about two months ago, and desperately lacking some funds, I decided to find a cheap alternative to the expensive housing offered by worldlink and such. Since it was my first time in China, I also wanted to live with a Chinese family and practice my Chinese.

After searching online for hours, I thought I came upon a great service called Pandaaspect.com. It was really cheap and seemed pretty friendly.

Against the advice of many other people, I decided to sign up with the program anyways. Even thinking on it right now, i feel like a Jehovah's witness is just pounding on my forehead. I feel so angry, and I know I should take it as a learning experience since I'm only in my late teens, but I seriously just want to smack the head of the company, David Gao or Gao Hai, with a big fat fucking trout.

Anyways, let me tell you about my horrid experience.

First of all, when I arrived in the airport, there was no one there to greet me. I searched two hours high and low and it's a big airport with a lot of people. I eventually got this trust looking pair to look over my bag while I searched for my name to appear on one of the signs held up by other homestay company/families, but no luck. I didn't know how I was going to call them, I didn't know basically anything, and I started freaking out. Fortunately, I found out that there was an internet cafe upstairs and looked up their website. I used the cafe's phone to call up one of the two numbers listed on the website. Someone finally picked up after the FIFTH phone call. I asked them where they were, and they said they were at the company. They told me that they were waiting for me to call them, but I could tell that they forgot because they asked for my flight number and arrival time beforehand. This was two hours later. And hauling my two huge suitcases up and down this airport was not fun at all. Anyways, they said they'll be right there.

They come. An hour and a half later. So let's just recount. That's three and a half hours I spent waiting. They see me and they're like - so you look nothing like your picture. I couldnt even respond.

They finally take me to my homestay family. By this point I'm exhausted. When we arrive there, it's in the middle of no where, dirtier than other areas of Beijing with most places missing sidewalks and overflowing with the smell of piss. And then, the host family isn't there. They're gone visiting a friend.

We couldn't even get a hold of them at first. Finally, they come, and I've been waiting about another extra thirty to forty minutes. As soon as they arrive, David Gao asks for my money. I should have been a little suspicious and asked for a contract or something, but I still trusted him. We talked on the way and he seemed very nice. So I pay him the homestay fee plus the cab fee to the airport which turned out to be 200 kuai. Ok, this is WAY too expensive I realized later. This is about more than twice it's actual price.

He takes the money and leaves.

I told him the location of my school and how I was supposed to be close to there, but it turns out my school is about forty minutes including morning traffic because I am in the middle of no where. No actually, that would be the end of nowhere because I am at the last stop of the red line. But I'm willing to live with this. I'm willing to live with the fact that my host family as no washing machine, so I had to hand wash all my clothes. I'm willing to live with the forty minute ride at 7:10 every morning to school. I'm willing to live with the fact that my own "private room" was actually a room where they dried their laundry. I'm willing to live with the fact that they go through my stuff when I'm away, all the conservation like the fact that they cut off all electricity past 11 pm, that's all ok.

But the couple is twenty seven, and so maybe that was a little problem. But that's all ok. But then i wanted to move to Wudaokou because I switched schools. I gave him sufficient notice and he said it was all ok. However, I did ask to be placed a little close to school. He refused. he said, he'll try as best as he could but that forty minutes was an average traffic time in China. I was still willing to work with him, when he stopped picking up my calls, returning my texts, my email. He also ensured me an english teaching job, but that also never happened. So I was left with barely any money, making around an hour and a half trip to school every morning, and with no way to contact him to move homestay families.

I eventually looked up that's bj, found an apartment and rented one by Wudaokou. But the amount of money, energy, and time I spent on him - it was ridiculous. However, what really pisses me off is that he is able to so easily take advantage of someone who actually trusted him to take care of her/him during his/her first stay at a foreign country. He was the first and only person I knew when I came to China. I couldn't speak the language, I couldn't do anything. It's not all his fault - I should have been smarter - but I sincerely hope nobody has to ruin their homestay experience with someone like him. Not only did he take advantage of me, but he only sees homestay as a means to making money. He doesn't pay the homestay family anything. And they were already poor to begin with. He also didn't tell them how long I would be staying.

I really liked my homestay family - they were nice people. But they simply didn't have the funds to take care of another person on their income, and he knew it. He says he selects the homestay family so that they are secure and comfortable homes, but they could barely support themselves. He didn't give them any of my money whatsoever.

Anyways, I hope none of you have the same experience I did. I would really like to make a sticky about all the other questionable homestay programs, because as I was doing some research, I realized there was a lot.

Hope this helped for those of you wanting to do homestay. If you're thinking pandaaspect.com - don't. I'm in the Wudaokou area and it's a little bit more expensive here than else where, but just look at thatsbj.com, and there are so many better housing options available as well as other homestay programs that are self and reliable. Also, many chinese company self promote, so make sure that whatever fantastic reviews you're reading about some obscure company is legit. Check if that person posted anywhere else and such. Just, check, check, check.

Unfortunately, most homestays in China work like this.

They take your money and the host familty does it for free. It's an odd arrangement and nearly always ends up in problems.

Chinese business tend to see foreigners and switch to "make money now" mode rather than "build up a business relationship". So you'll get screwed.

Unfortunately, most homestays in China work like this.

They take your money and the host familty does it for free.

Actually, that's the way it works in the US as well. When I did a high school year there, I payed a lot of fees, of which the host family didn't see a cent either.

Also, many (trying hard to avoid saying most) Chinese get born with their switch stuck in "make money now" mode... Get used to it, and you won't get screwed. Well, less anyway.

I think the OP is on the right track, put it down under experience and avoid the same mistakes in the future. If it's any consolidation, we've all been there. You'll feel better once you hear what other people payed for a cup of tea :wink:

The bad news is this cost you a lot of time, money and cause you a lot of aggravation.

The good news is you are already a bit wiser, and hopefully you've had your run of bad luck. Just in case however, you should review the Tea Scam and other such warnings on this website. The even better scammers and shady businesses will scam you before you even realize it and take advantage of your being trusting, naive, and sometimes just plain ignorant.

Chinese business tend to see foreigners and switch to "make money now" mode rather than "build up a business relationship". So you'll get screwed.

I agree with this (foreigners === money as far as Chinese people are concerned), but businesses also stay in money mood with other Chinese too, so everyone is just getting screwed out here, so it's not ONLY because you are a foreigner~ make sure to do your homework and get 100% reliable info and recommendations, etc. Otherwise you will be really asking for it....(again...hehe...sorry)

Anyway, welcome to China. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your stay!

Hey

I'm sorry your experience turned out to be bad. I'm doing a homestay at the moment and I absolutely love it so I think it is definitely possible to get a good one.

However, I am DEFINITELY paying for it. I'm doing it with Lotus and it is massively expensive. For my living and 2 meals a day I pay almost as much as I did on my rent back home - and I live in London. My Chinese family asked me the other day what I thought of Lotus and I wanted to say they were fine but way too expensive - but I was worried that might sound offensive to them (like I wasn't getting my money;s worth at their house or something).

I knew Lotus where expensive but my company pai wo to China so I decided it was worth it. But I really want to ask my family whether they get any of my money? Does anyone know?? I'd be grateful if any of you know this if you could tell me ....

I'm sure there's a business opportunity to set up a cheaper option here in CHina.... and one that works. I hope your experience hasn't put you off China in general.

Nicky

honestly, all I want now is not even my money back, but just inform and notify others of other such scam homestay companies like pandaaspect.com who will only use foreigners to obtain money and use them as a mean to achieve their selfish, greedy ends.

I've talked to a co-worker of that company who hates the owner just as much as I do due to his (David Gao/Gao Hai's) complete lack of proper morals and ethics. He takes advantage of Chinese families just as much as Westerners. I wish I could speak/write Chinese better so I can warn them against people like him, who'll abuse their kindness and promise things like "improve your chinese dramatically by housing a westerner" when on their English website, he says that the Chinese families understand the student's main reason for being in China is to study Chinese.

Like someone said before, it's a waste of time and money and all you get in return is a headache. As I said, I think a sticky of all the questionable homestay services would be really helpful just so people are informed.

• 2 weeks later...

For reference, I've since been contacted by Pandaaspect asking me to remove this post as it is 'not true'. I've invited them to come along and present their side of the story, I don't know whether they will opt to do that or not.

I called him about three times yesterday. He didn't even say hello. There was no response. I wish he would at least just try and justify or defend himself because that would be more reaction than I got through this entire ordeal.

And when you do reply, David Gao/Gao Hai/Panda Aspect/pandaaspect.com, can you please tell me on what grounds you still have my money when you haven't paid the chinese family a single cent? Can you tell me that it didn't all go into your greedy pockets? Can you tell me why you refused to take my calls?

I hope he is ashamed. I hope that shame will be enough to guarantee a response, which I have been waiting for a long time. The only sad part about it is that his shame has nothing to do with his flawed morals, ethics, and business practices, but incited by the threat of having a lack of foreigners to con and take advantage of.

can you please tell me on what grounds you still have my money when you haven't paid the chinese family a single cent?

Probably because that's how it works. You pay them and they match you up with a hosting family. It's like paying an agent money for finding an apartment.

The issue is that they tell you that you'll have a lovely homestay, be free to do what you want, and will have lovely amenities and some nice food. Then they tell the Chinese family that a free English teacher is turning up.

That's exactly what happened. The only reason he hasn't returned any money is due to purely selfish reasonings.

The only thing that's different about him and an agent fee is that the agency isn't going to charge more because you're staying longer in the new apartment they found for you.

He charges more the longer you stay in a chinese family. You would assume it's because some part of your money is going towards the fact that the chinese people are feeding you, housing you, and generally helping you out as much as they can. But he uses time as a pretense to get more money from you, when in actually, it really doesn't matter because it's not based on any justifiable reason; that is, unless you count filling his pockets full of money. My chinese family, as I said, didn't even know how long I was going to be staying. I talked to other workers there, and this one person, who eventually quit, said word for word that David Gao only sees homestay as a way to make money. It's not with any real motivation towards helping people gain a better understanding of Chinese culture.

I had a look into pandaaspect (legal threats often get me interested in things). From one of their ads on zhantai.com

让您浸泡在一个外语的语言环境中

From pandaspect's English site:

Your host family understands that your purpose to come to China is for Chinese language learning, therefore, they will communicate with you in Chinese at home. If you apply for a free homestay, you have the responsibility of teaching the family English for four hours a week.

While there Chinese site has

每周至少4小时“一对一”或者“一对多”的正规授课。除此之外,您可以尽量多的安排和外教交流的机会,如一起购物、就餐、闲谈或者是外出旅游,只要您积极一些,尽量多问、多说,您会得到更多额外的收获。

The English side seems to have both free (and you teach) and paid (no teaching) options. The Chinese side meanwhile only mentions free live-in foreign teachers.

Boiton, your problems seem to have been with the quality and location of the accommodation. What were you actually told beforehand? Or did you assume it would be better than it was?

The quality wasn't great, but I could live with that. I don't mind the dirtiness, construction, etc. Even though they promised a clean environment, my own room, internet, etc., and I only received about half, I only wanted to move when I received work and had to relocate to Wudaokou because I lived as farthest from Wudaokou as I possibly could. I lived in Si Hui Dong, which is the last stop on line one. I would have to travel around an hour to hour and fifteen on subway, which is the fastest mode of transportation in Beijing, to get to my school and work. That's excluding time to walk there, fifteen - twenty minutes, and then another twenty minutes to walk to my work/school.

They told me they could find a place for me to close to my school and work, but what they defined as "close" was thirty - forty minutes. Initially, I went to school in the Chaoyang district. I told them I needed to be placed close to my school and I even gave them the address of my school to make sure they knew exactly where it was; location is important to me. They promised me all this and even reassured me that they would take care of everything. However, whether I went by bus, subway, or bike, it would take me about thirty five to forty minutes to get there. As a student, I really couldn't waste that much time going, especially if I have to get there at eight in the morning.

So, basically, they told me I would get my own room, provided with internet connection, and place me in a home close to my school. My own room was where they placed their laundry. The internet went out all the time. And my school was more than half an hour away.

I wouldn't even have been as mad as I am if he would just refund me the money of the three months I wouldn't be using his homestay "program" or if he made any form of effort to work with me. Instead, he ignored my calls, and when I wrote him lengthy emails about the problems I've had with distance, it was clear he did not read it at all. However, I believe that it's understandable that he would want to keep the money for the two months I spent with the chinese family he found. But to not refund me for the other three months I wouldn't be staying there, especially when he is not paying the chinese family squat, and to ignore my calls when it turns out he actually had to do some work instead of profiting off of other people's naivety just seemed so selfish and greedy. And it infuriates me that he took such clear advantage of not just me, but of so many other people, and I can't do anything about it other than "learn from my mistakes" and make posts warning others to do the same.

EDIT: also, I've noticed that he does the whole false advertising business that chinese companies seem to do a lot. He'll make posts about his company, acting like he's a customer, saying this and that about how great it is. I really am not surprised. This fits so well with what happened when I called the land line phone of his company because I couldn't find the address on his website - and he won't tell/show it to you. His address is unlimited chaoyang road.

Anyways, I called his company, a girl picks up, and I ask to speak with gao hai. I called the landline phone because gao hai had stopped answering my phone calls when I called him couple days ago and reminded him for the fifth time that I would need a change of location soon. He later texted me that he was in Shanghai and that he couldn't talk with me. So I called the landline phone three days later, and a girl picks up. I ask to speak with Gao Hai, and she asks who is it, and I tell her my name. She muffle the phone and I hear Gao Hai's voice in the background. She comes back later, and she says that Gao Hai is out of town. I tell her that I just heard him in the background. And she laughs and says, well, he just really doesn't want to speak with you right now, so you can't talk to him.

I'm really sorry to hear what a terrible experience you went through. As you know, there are unscrupulous and terrible people everywhere and China is certainly no exception. That you are using the power of the internet to provide your story is a good thing. Keep learning Chinese and making good friends. Consult with them and see if any of them might have any ideas on how you can find redress for your problems. If you're really fired up, you can also try the local embassy and see if they have any ideas though most people will likely file this under "mei ban fa."

David Gao only sees homestay as a way to make money

I know this is going to sound callous, from someone (me) who isn't feeling angry or scammed, but ... it's a business, that's what they're meant to do!

Hi I sympathize with your bad experience,

My first employers tricked me (read refused) out of the return airfare to the US and I was stranded for a short time. (Credit cards had expired).

But in high school in the US I had a friend who went through terrible time. He was placed with a green card lithuanian family who at time forgot to feed him. He had to walk 40 minutes to school ,and was made to tutor their 8 year old kid in German. Often they would not tell him where they were going and just leave in the evening and give him the Domino's number. Often forgetting to give him the money for the food.

This was a family whose purpose was purely monetary and they did get a significant amount of money each money from the company for hosting him. After he talked to me and my family we sent him a box of food which held him over until he was able to be placed with a teacher at the school who gave him a much better and food available experience.

Thanks for telling us about the company though as we can warn others.

Have fun,

Simon

There are family stays here in Nanjing but they are arranged with the University and are often Rich families with Empty nest syndrome and mothers who like cooking. Not much english teaching takes place. The German students seem to like it as well for some reason.

I am truly sorry to hear about your bad experience. Unfortunately I can't offer any good suggestions other than to tell your story (like you have) and to move on. Based on what you've said and also not knowing the details of the agreement you had with them, I'm afraid that I cannot say that you were outright cheated by this particular homestay company, but you obviously were not satisfied with your experience and it sounds like they did little to address your concerns. It is true that many local companies do not understand the level of service that most foreigners are used to and expect - they don't know the concept of going "above and beyond". They just see a business opportunity and focus on bringing in the money. But that is not to say that businesses with good customer service don't exist here, as I have had the pleasure of dealing with a few.

By the way, I would consider a 30-40 minute commute to be quite acceptable for Beijing. I don't know where you come from, but if you are used to a shorter commute back home it just means that here you have a bit less time each day in which you can get things done. I suggest you try to adapt to this and other differences, otherwise you're not going to be happy here. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

The issue is that they tell you that you'll have a lovely homestay, be free to do what you want, and will have lovely amenities and some nice food. Then they tell the Chinese family that a free English teacher is turning up.

And I wonder, does it really have to be this way? There obviously is strong demand for this type of service, and if families are willing to do the homestay for free (ok, with the expectation they'll get some free English tutoring in exchange), then I'd expect you could really increase the quality and location of host families if they were offered a token amount for their trouble, say, 500-1000 RMB/month. This would at least cover any costs associated with bringing on an additional resident.

I would expect that a homestay company would meet their client on arrival at the airport, take them to the host family (and don't make them pay for the ride), provide their client with a basic orientation session since it will most likely be their first time to Beijing, help with getting their registration for temporary residency sorted out, assist with getting a subway/bus IC card, SIM card for their phone, etc.

Is it really that hard for these companies to do this?

If so, then I see a good business opportunity!