Chinese-Forums

Chinese Driving Style vs. US Driving Style

simonlaing

Hi Guys,

I am planning a long road-trip holiday for my Boss and some of his friends in the Western US. Some of these Chinese people will need to drive some of the time, but I realized that the driving norms and laws are different and I would have to do an orientation I think about the differences.

So I have a few ideas of differences but wondered if others could mention driving styles they found different with examples if possible.Also I am in Nanjing where the laws are less strictly enforced as in Shanghai or other places.

Tail-gating

China although not encourage very common and keeps the guy behind you from hitting his horm as much.

US: Not accepted and can cause Road rage and ticketing from the cops.

Driving in the Middle of the road or highway

China acceptable as you don't know if you will need to pass someone up head on the left or the right.

US- Illegal and resonable suspicion of drunken driving, will be pulled over and given a breatherlizer.

Right on Red after stop

US- Legal in Most states if there is no oncoming traffic. People will honk at you if you don't turn on the red when there are no cars coming.

China- not legal as there are also pedestrians and bicycles to think of. Unless it is after 11 and there are not many cars coming then you can turn right from the left hand lane to avoid the traffic camera.

Drinking and Driving

US-strictly enforced and cause you lose your license and sometimes spend the night in Jail if you can't get home. Also having open alcohol containers is a no-no .

China:- a little looser. Still illegal but if it is late at night and you don't hit anyone or anything it is ok. I haven't seen anyone pulled over for drunk driving. No open container laws.

Anyway, what do you think of these? Can you think of any others that could be a problem.

have fun,

Simon:)

Here are some important differences that I think your friends also need to be made aware of:

1) Stop sign really does mean stop.

2) Pedestrians and cyclists are always given right of way, rather than the other way around.

3) Always signal before changing lanes or turning.

4) People are not as defensive over there, so make sure there is lots of room and give notice before changing lanes. Also avoid making any sudden maneuvers.

5) This sort of goes with the previous point, but don't assume that other drivers will notice you.

6) Always stop at a red light, even if you are planning to make a right turn on red (if legal in the state).

7) Keep up with the flow of traffic. Don't drive overly slow, but also don't drive too fast.

8) Inter-state highways are patrolled, so don't be driving 100+ mph. On the otherhand, traffic cameras are not as prevalent.

9) Turn on the headlights when it gets dark or when it rains. This may not be an issue with newer cars that have automatic lights.

10) Don't spit or throw garbage out the window.

11) Last but not least, use the seatbelts. It really does save lives.

Right on Red after stop

US- Legal in Most states if there is no oncoming traffic. People will honk at you if you don't turn on the red when there are no cars coming.

China- not legal as there are also pedestrians and bicycles to think of. Unless it is after 11 and there are not many cars coming then you can turn right from the left hand lane to avoid the traffic camera.

Am I reading this correctly? In BJ, people rarely stop for red lights when making a right turn, unless it is forbidden with a dedicated right turn signal.

Hey Cdn,

You post reminded me that I should probably go over highway driving with them. Like the 2 second rule, keeping space on the right and left when possible. Passing on the left . Travel in the breakdown is prohibited except at rush hour time in some cities.

What the Car pool lane means.

Also probably parking issues. That illegal parking will get ticketed or worse towed quickly espicially in Down town areas.

In Massachusetts they also have a cell phone law that you have to have a hands free set to use a cell phone in the car and also have a seat belt on.

Do other states have similar laws?

Plus when people cross the road or are about to cross cars usually stop and wait until the person has crossed the road completely.

Have fun,

i would really really really strongly suggest that you do the driving, as the main difference

between driving in the us and china is that us drivers generally know how to drive. they're

also very particular about something not known here: right-of-way.

it'll be a new experiece for them; yielding to oncoming traffic for starters. checking the

traffic on a highway before entering traffic flow. learning how to merge at an interstate

entrance ramp. not cutting off 18-wheelers. staying to the right except when passing.

not passing on the right, or between two lanes.

be sure they understand that traffic laws are enforced, they are not suggestions.

and when they get the inevitable citation, the ticket is not negotiable.

if they absolutely insist on driving, just let them go at in on desolate stretches of interstate.

US - Follow the traffic laws

Beijing - Ignore the traffic laws

....Flippant answer, but it's essentially true from what I've seen.

---

A more serious answer?...

In Beijing, people seem to watch other people, and assume others are watching them, so they drive with the assumption that others will move out of their way. In the US, assume that the other people AREN'T watching you, so you need to make sure that they DO see you.. Drive accordingly.

I think the biggest difference between driving in the US and driving in China is the idea of "right of way". In other words, in the US, people drive based on the who theoretically has the right to do something, whereas in China it is, to some degree, a game of chicken. However, in China, everybody understands the logic to the game of chicken as well (while many Americans who come to China are somewhat confused by the logic under the chaos).

For example, if you are turning left in China, as soon as the light turns green, the first three or so cars might bolt out so that they can turn left. The Chinese drivers on the other side, planning to go straight, will see this, and adjust accordingly (either by waiting or by trying to get into the intersection first, so that the cars turing left will have to yield).

I think that the Chinese drivers might need to know that American drivers don't think it terms of who has the actual power to something. So there would be a good chance that a careless American driver might just plow through a car turning left in that situation, because he or she would just never expect the car to turn left.

I think the good news is that American driving laws, in most states, are fairly simple. Below is the Colorado handbook, for example:

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MV_dir/formspdf/DRP23371-12.pdf

I think if you tell them to drive conservatively and at low speeds, then there probably won't be any problems. :D

My Chinese friends who live in the UK are quite happy to drive in China, but pass on driving in the UK. I find this reversal of the situation curious. It seems that they think UK driving is more dangerous than China.

In the UK and the US, people general obey the rules. The problem is that people expect everyone else to obey the rules. So we drive faster, safe in the knowledge that the person at the junction, or in the next lane, is not going to pull out in front of us and cut us up. By contrast, in china, you assume the person IS going to pull out and cut you up. So in china you prepare for this happening where as in the UK and US nobody is prepared for it.

My conclusion is my friends are always looking ahead and seeing potential crashes looming up when I happily whiz past - safe in the knowledge that the other car isn't going to get in my way.

I encourage you to let these people drive, albeit with a local in the same car for healthy advise when needed. I think it can be a good learning experience, and I also think the rules can be understood fairly quickly.

In general, foreign nationals driving in the US risk mostly an expensive ticket.

In China, foreign nationals simply risk their lives driving. :lol:

Talking about right of way for pedestrians, I have the nasty habit of enforcing that in China too ... else I would still be standing at the other side of my street. :mrgreen:

My conclusion is my friends are always looking ahead and seeing potential crashes looming up when I happily whiz past - safe in the knowledge that the other car isn't going to get in my way.

I'll share my driving expereriences at a later time, but for now I'll just say that I find that drivers here on the whole are a lot more defensive and aware of other drivers. Of course, they are also a lot more aggressive and there are some extremely clueless drivers too, so it somewhat cancels out.

Let me chime in to support the idea that I believe the Chinese drivers are trained to practice much more defensive driving than the typical American driver. I also believe that they are trained to practice much more offensive driving as well.

Here in Beijing the drivers are more and more following the rules. I have been to parts of the world where a red light means absolutely nothing and drivers will not even tap on the brakes when approaching. It is seldom that I see a car ignoring a red light here, even for a simple pedestrian crossing when there are no pedestrians.

In general the Chinese drivers drive more slowly than the California drivers I am typical of. I also see them seldom making sudden moves. It is just that they make gradual moves without checking and assume others see them coming, for example just gradually drifting across traffic and assuming other cars will more, or drifting into the oncoming lane if they feel there is room for oncoming cars to drift over on to their shoulder. It's all really logical, I mean, that's unused asphalt over there, somebody paid for it so we should put it to use.

There was one harrowing trip some of my friends and I took in one of those bread vans. This driver was one of the more aggressive ones. We had to joke to cover our fear of dying. At one point we came upon a traffic jam on a two lane road and the cars were already 4 across. I joked to my friends in English, "Hey dude, check out that 45 degree embankment, you could use that." As if he could understand me the next thing you know we are tipped on our side riding the embankment. Like I said, from my perspective, very logical. :twisted:

I wouldn't let any of my Chinese friends behind the wheel in a western country unless they have had at least four hours instruction from a local professional instructor. The reason for this is that Chinese road users have a substandard driving test and procedure.

In the area I live the driving standards are terrible (Shandong). However I have been to some areas where the driving is actually OK (Zhejiang).

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your advice. The drivers are going to get an international driver's license which will let them drive in the US . Even the Chinese license is usable for one year after entry I think.

So Legally I think we are covered.

We are getting travel and auto insurance as well.

"By contrast, in china, you assume the person IS going to pull out and cut you up. So in china you prepare for this happening where as in the UK and US nobody is prepared for it."

So I think by teaching people the issues of keeping space between cars on high ways and driving slowly in the downtown things should be ok.

Do you think I have to teach them parking, though I will be able to get out and talk them into parrallel parking perhaps.

One or two of the cars is likely not to have a local US person but will have "english" speakers so I don't think that will be too bad. Plus there is GPS, in the car and we will have Cell phones if one car gets a problem and we need to call for a tow. Also I figure our we drive in caravan style on after the other and so won't be able to split up.

I have been going over some bear precautions for Yosemite and Yellowstone. Other than keeping food in Bear safe containers and not just your car. And not feeding the animals. Do you think there are other things I need to talk to them about when it comes to wildlife or wildlife parks in the US that we just take for granted?

Perhaps letting me drive in the cities is not such a bad idea. Being the driver I can also check the other car is still with us, and be able to read the road signs, though it will mean one of the Chinese friends will need to map read. Should be ok, they have one way streets in China as well.

Do you agree that a type of orientation on Driving in the US is important? Or just learning it when we get there will be fine.

Thanks,

sthubbar: i disagree that that drivers here are more defensive. you said they "make gradual

moves without checking and assume others see them coming, for example just gradually

drifting across traffic and assuming other cars will more, or drifting into the oncoming lane if

they feel there is room for oncoming cars to drift over on to their shoulder"

that's more a sign of a total lack of awareness, of driving in a bubble. chinese driving style

seems to involve duct-taping a couple toilet paper rolls to your sunglasses, staring at

a spot two meters in front of your bumper, and heading in the general direction of where

you might consider wanting to go....unless suddenly without warning you change your

mind.....all the while reading a newspaper and sending text messages.

compare that to driving in the states (unfortunately with far too many exceptions) where

drivers are trained to constantly scan the roadway several hundred meters ahead, looking

for obstacles and dangers, upcoming intersections, pedestrians and cyclists, etc.

Update on the trip

In a typical Chinese irony, I as the US expert and native speaker translator have been bumped of the trip for a TV journalist from the local TV/Newspaper. In addition they will drive right past the Grand canyon and won't stop to look because they don't have enough time spending 4 days in San Fransico and Fresno. The reason for me being bumped off a wealthy Chinese tour club is that my cost would be too great.

Also they plan on driving straight from Yellowstone WY to Sanfransico non-stop for 2 days rather than take a Jet blue regional 2 hour flight.

(Yes these decisions were against my suggestions.)

Even though I liked the idea of travelling, having the responsibility for 8 needy Chinese CEOs is something I prefer not to have. So thanks for the responses everyone. I am happy I can let them deal with the issues themselves.

have fun,