Chinese-Forums

The Medical - warts and all please

Rhian

Not all foreigners are required to undergo a medical on arrival, only those who will be getting a residence permit, i.e. those on an X/Z visa and staying a year.

Most of the medical itself it pretty meaningless. A few pokes and prods, taking your weight/height, asking a few questions etc.

Then there is also a blood test where they test for AIDS, syphillis and Hepatitis, and finally a chest X-Ray.

I've had the medical done in China several times, and I don't think there's really anything to be worried about.

Hi Rhian,

As Imron said, there isn't anything to be worried about. I've had the test done twice now and it was straight forward: the staff were friendly and understanding. There is a central waiting room and from there you are called to a number of smaller rooms for individual tests. I remember the first time I too sweated a lot over the thought of doing it, and went to all sorts of efforts back home to get documents from doctors so that I could avoid it, but in the end that was a waste of time and worry.

If you do have to have one, I'd suggest you get a Chinese friend or someone who can explain the system, to go along with you - that way they can explain the steps and help you feel reassured.

I guess just 'rolling' with the system is one of the first steps for feeling comfortable with living in China.

Ailisi

I've had the medical done in China several times, and I don't think there's really anything to be worried about.

In what situations does someone need to do this test again?

I had the test done once, and it wasn't a big deal.

liuzhou: why redo the test? as long as you're just extending your residence permit

(at least for student visas) 'they' will accept your original health certificate. a change

in visa type will require a new health test.

The medical needed for the residence permit is very simple and relaxed. It consists of the following:

1) Vision, blood pressure, and weight/height. When I went, the doctor assumed that my vision was properly corrected as I wear glasses and skipped the vision test.

2) Blood test. I don't like getting needles so I was a bit nervous about this one. But my doctor was good, there was no pain at all.

3) ECG. You'll be asked to take off your shirt for this.

4) Chest x-ray

Each of the 4 tests are done at separate "stations". The tests themselves are very quick, most of your time will be spent waiting in line at each station. The doctors are all very friendly, probably partly because it is a much more relaxed environment compared to a regular Chinese hospital.

@Mr Stinky. Maybe they do things differently down in Kunming, but in Hebei (at least where I was) the test has a validity of 6 months. If a previous test was older than that, then you'd have to do it again. As it had been a year since my previous test, it was necessary to do a new one, even though I was only extending my residence permit and not changing visa types.

liuzhou: why redo the test?

It is (sensibly, in my opinion) required to renew my residence permit. My original test is 11 years old. Plenty time to pick up a disease or three.