Chinese-Forums

resume translations/foreign university names in chinese

hunxueer

hi all,

i'm trying to create a resume in chinese, and i'm wondering how to handle certain proper nouns, like the name of my university. should i leave it in english, or should i translate it to chinese? if so, is there a standard translation for california state university, los angeles? (note: this is different from university of california, los angeles/ucla)

thanks for all your help!

I'd put it in both Chinese and English, with one of the two between brackets. There's probably some sort of standard translation, googling might help finding it (try something along the line of "name of your uni" 大學).

What I did when I needed a Chinese resume was that I made one in Dutch and one in English, and then gave it to a Chinese friend who was kind enough to translate it for me.

ah, but part of this is the learning process of writing it myself. plus if i were to simply hand over my english resume for translation, i think it'd be a huge task for somebody since the information and formatting between english and chinese resumes is so different.

anyway i'll certainly get somebody to proofread it and make suggestions and corrections, but i'd rather not ask somebody to translate it for me.

but thanks for the suggestion of googling with “大学." that was a good idea. here it is, in case anybody needs it for future reference:

加州州立大学 (and add "洛杉矶分校" for los angeles)

i think it'd be a huge task for somebody since the information and formatting between english and chinese resumes is so different.
That's exactely why I asked someone to do it for me :-) They already know what format and what information is needed in a Chinese resume (my friend put in a 'Health: Good', I'd never even think of putting that in an English or Dutch resume), if I would have to figure all that out it would take me much longer. But you're right that it's useful to be able to do that yourself.

Anyway, glad to have been of help.