Chinese-Forums

Train ticket refunds possible?

billiardsmike

The ticket refund window gives you back something like 80% of the price, but if you're lucky while standing in line someone will come up to you and buy it off you for the original price. Happened to me once, don't know if this is normal though.

Went to Beijing West station ticket office (2nd sublevel) and was done in no time. There were a dozen people hovering, looking to buy tickets from those returning theirs, some of them not too bright. One guy just couldn't understand why I wouldn't sell him my tickets for 170 kuai when the refund was 190.

I have done it. I decided to spend longer in Shanghai than i originally had planed and so went to the train staton to return my ticket. Luckily while i was standing in line some chinese guy came up to me and bought the ticket of me for the original price. Otherwise I would have lost 20%.

Luckily while i was standing in line some chinese guy came up to me and bought the ticket of me for the original price.
Did anybody try to sell them for more than face value yet? The reason that those people come to the return counter is that the train is booked out, so according to the laws of supply and demand, you should be able to mark-up prices significantly :mrgreen:

Now that I think about it, the guy trying to buy my tickets may have been a scalper looking to resell them later. I saw him negotiate with several people and I'm reasonably sure that not all of them were returning tickets for a much later train to Qingdao.