Chinese-Forums

babelfish name transliteration

Jake Perry

out of the blue i typed in my name and got a transliteration

peter paul and mary comes out as - 彼得保罗 和玛丽

so i tried andrew just for good measure - 安德鲁

are these transliterations solid? is this a new short cut?

Many names have standard transliterations. I take it that Babelfish will have been fed with the most important names. If you have a fairly common name, and are happy to just go with a standard transliteration, then you should be fine with using Babelfish. If you prefer a unique name, you'll be better served here.

• 2 weeks later...

People immigrate to China?

We've discussed about national standards on geographical names' transliteration here before (http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/277-dream-of-the-red-mansionchamber5). I guess there is some sort of standard (like ISO) for tranliteration of people's names as well. But you also probably know that even international political figures' names have different Chinese transliterations.

The best ways to find the official/common transliteration of a foreign name is typing the name in google and add something Chinese. If it's the name of a famous person, wikipedia also works very, very well. Find the person in the English (or whichever language) version, then click zhongwen.

rom what you are saying everyone with the surname Jones who immigrates to China will have a different and random set of characters to represent their english last name.
Yep, similar to the way that many Chinese people use different spellings of their Chinese names when they go to an English speaking country, e.g. Lee/Li Zhang/Chang Wong/Wang etc etc.