Chinese-Forums

Cheap, easy and illegal way to get a visa???

Xander

Hi,

I am planning to study Mandarin at TLI (Taipei Language Institute in Dalian) for 10 month starting September 2007. But as far as I am concerned are they not offering any help with the visa. So I was thinking why not apply for a visa at a university in Dalian, pay 100$ for the application, and then stay in China for 10 month, without ever enrolling at that University.

Some questions:

Can this work? Is this illegal?

What are the consequences if they find out?

Any other/better options I should try?

Thanks in advance

Yes it's illegal and no it won't work.

On top of things, that training center mustn't be very good if they can't get a you a student visa.

Study at a proper university or training center that can provide you with the proper visa.

If not, you're asking for problems.

I hope that you choose to take the proper route and go with an authorized university or training center.

Good Luck!

On the other hand, many people told me that they have done precisely that. They enrolled in a obscure language school or university. This school's interest was just in money and didn't care if student didn't come to classes. Of course they did come, but just once or twice in the beginning of the year.

But of course, I don't want to say that you should violate laws. It's your responsibility.

A school that is not willing to offer you the credentials to apply for an X-visa (student visa) ... well ... there are many in China.

They are not exactly 'schools' but more some kind of dodgy 'business' (read: they are not interested in education but only in money).

Ask yourself this question: what do they give you for your money and what guarantees do you have they will provide you with some educational benefit if they cannot even make sure you can come into this beautiful country, but will gladly accept your money beforehand?

Good luck in finding a different, but real place to study. You're going to love it.

But not this one.

I'm attending classes at TLI's Wangfujing branch in Beijing now. Overall, the quality of the instruction is pretty high and they definitely push you in regard to the pace of the classes. I think my location offers visa's so I don't know why Dalian's wouldn't.

In fact, I'll be relocating to Dalian to study for a year. I wanted to stay longer in Beijing but I realized I needed to cut down on my costs. I'll be going to Dalian Maritime University for language classes and then supplementing that with 4-6 hours of private instruction at TLI's Dalian branch. Let's meet up in September sometimes.

In fact, I'll be relocating to Dalian to study for a year. I wanted to stay longer in Beijing but I realized I needed to cut down on my costs.

Dalian is quite nice, I think you will like it there. The local dialect is a bit different though.

Hi,

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I have previously studied at BLCU and Hagongda (Harbin Gongye Daxue), and had a friend who went to TLI in Beijing and she absolutely loved it. Also my former neighbour in Germany (Head of the East Asian Department at his University) recommended TLI, so I think I will give it a shoot, can’t be worse than BLCU or Hagongda.

Actually I did not ask TLI in Dalian about the visa, I assumed they don’t offer any help because I couldn’t find anything about visa things on their website. So I will ask them, and tell you what I found out.

Thanx again

Xander,

That's a different story than your original post.

If I look at the feedback from other forum members, I'm quite convinced that if they have a good reputation, they will offer you the credentials to apply for an X-visa.

Anyway, I hope all goes well.

Generally speaking, it's only official universities that can issue X visas*, and there are plenty of private schools operating with students on F and L visas. Diqiucun for example operates (or did operate) a little visa desk in its reception area. Basically it's a bit of a grey area, but if you consider the number of people happily working on an F visa I see no reason why you shouldn't study on one. Do check out the school thoroughly, but you need to do the same with an X-visa issuing university also. It's not quite the same as in English teaching, where an inability to supply an Z visa is a fairly significant red flag.

As for TLI Dalian specifically, see here - they mention an F visa application fee, so presumably are handing out F visas.

*Am I right in saying that? I don't know of any private schools who can issue X visas, except perhaps one in Kunming?

One reason why the X visa switch could have issues is that the X visa they put in your passport before you go to CHina is only 30 days long then you have to switch it with the school or you with a school stamped letter taking your passport the police station to get it changed to a year long visa.

If the school is just in it for the money and it is a wink wink, nod nod situation that is fine though I wouldn't give over all the money until the deal was completely understood.

You're paying so there is more latitude for this I think.

have fun,

SimoN:)

Hi,

Myann23 how did you get the visa from TLI? How long did it take? I wrote them five days ago, and than again two days ago, but I haven’t heard anything from them yet. Sure, let’s meet some time in September!

Question to all of you. What are my chances of going to China with a F visa, and then extending it a couple of times, so that I can stay in China for a total of 10 month?

Thanks so much, I haven’t been sleeping well lately maybe due to the visa thing, or because I am so excited going back to China. ;)

Question to all of you. What are my chances of going to China with a F visa, and then extending it a couple of times, so that I can stay in China for a total of 10 month?

Right now it isn't a problem, as there are agents here (as well as in HK) that can help you extend your visa if you lack the paperwork to do it yourself. According to this page, you can extend an F visa as many times as you like, but each extension shouldn't exceed 3 months:

http://www.bjgaj.gov.cn/epolice/qianzheng.htm

I have heard that they have gotten more strict about visa extensions/changes as the Olympics approach but I haven't been able to find details about the change in rules.

Hi,

I just heard back from them. They are going to issue a F visa for business purposes, and told me that I had to tell the embassy that I had some business or technical support to do in China. They also told me that the F visa can be extended up to one year.

Will the embassy in Norway buy that I have to do some business in China? How/if ever are they going to verify that? What company should I put down on the visa application form a Norwegian company or one that is based in Dalian? Has anybody done this before, how did you pull it off?

Please help me out, I want to do everything “right” so that the Chinese embassy in Norway can’t refuse to issue the visa.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I guess they have to send me a invitation letter, otherwise I won't be able to apply for the F visa. Using the company name that is on the application sounds good to me. But what if they check??? Will they check?

Do I need to take a health check if I stay in China longer than 6 month, even if I arrive on a F visa?

Thanks again