Chinese-Forums

kunming localized flooding photos

mr.stinky

it's the rainy season in kunming, and apparently the new storm drains on the northside

can't quite handle the quantity of runoff. or maybe they never constructed an outlet to

the small river less than 1/2 km from this intersection in front of my apartment complex.

water at the intersection reached a depth of just over one meter in spots, finally drained

off overnight.

i wonder if the same engineering firm designed the new road (also in north kunming)?

1242_thumb.attach

1243_thumb.attach

1244_thumb.attach

1245_thumb.attach

don't let these photos frighten you off, the flooding was localized to just a few blocks.

nothing downtown as far as i know. anyway the rain's not always that heavy, usually

continuous lines of short squalls. at least it's warm, and shouldn't last for more than

a few weeks or so. guess i picked the wrong time to buy a bicycle.

I live in downtown KM and we don't have anything like that so the photos were a real surprise to me.

样云街 (south of 南屏街) was flooded ankle deep for a couple of hours after particularly heavy rain, but I guess it's not quite comparable!

from china daily (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-07/22/content_5441057.htm)

Even harder hit this week was southern China's Yunnan province, where rain triggered floods

and landslides from Wednesday to Saturday. More than 4,000 houses were destroyed and

386,000 people evacuated, Xinhua said. It cited the Ministry of Civil Affairs as saying that 59

people were killed in Yunnan, most of them caught in violent mud flows on Thursday.

I'm scheduled to go to Kunming next Thursday to attend a regional meeting on skin problems. But reading news on the posibility of more rain and looking at pictures of flood and its aftermath in Anhui and other parts of China, makes me wonder whether it's a good decision or not. What's your opinion. Lots of thanks

nanjing flooding was also crazy. Espicially in the south suburb were the big shanghai esk row of skyscraper apartment blocks are being built. on the plus side they are redoing the sewers around my housing complex.

Millions of RMB in fish, sea food and farms have been affected in our area as well.

I think the pumping water from the south to the north could have benefit if some of this damage could be avoided.

Have fun,

Simon:)

I like the photo of the tree. You can have a similar issue in Ireland with a particular type of tree/bush called a "Fairy Tree". It was believed that fairies lived in these trees and that the fairies would take their revenge on anyone who cut one for the trees down. Of course no-one believes in fairies today but still no-one will cut one of these trees down, preferring to leave it to someone else!

So you have situations in Ireland were major roads are rerouted to avoid the trees or even two laned roads going down to one lane at the site of the tree. I have an uncle in Ireland who is an architect and he once had to design a factory around a fairy tree because it was impossible to find anyone who would cut the tree down.:)