Chinese-Forums

Hopkins-Nanjing?

sirenbear

Hi,

Has anybody here been to the Hopkins Nanjing program, or know anything about it? I want to apply for it for fall 2008. It's very expensive, but I think I will apply anyway and see what kind of aid I can get. Anyone with experience- how is the program, how did you pay for it- these are two things I am most interested in knowing!

also, if anyone has any comments about this kind of program versus studying in a regular Chinese university, I'd love to hear it! I studied in chinese uni for awhile, not to keen on the instruction methods, but they are a lot cheaper for sure...

thanks

Hi All,

I went to Nanjing U, a program next door to the Hopkins school.

Hopkins - Offers two services the eqivalent for graduate work degree, one year program cetrifcate program.

As well as about 60 -80 international students taking classes on Chinese Civics in Chinese there are 60-80 Chinese students taking classes on International politics from Hopkins professors. They recently built a big new building and the fees went up to 20.000 dollars a year. So if you can afford this you might aswell go to Hawaii's or Princeton's program as it costs about the same, unless you have financial aid. The program itself gives 1/2 price scholarships I think but it is still a lot considering the tuition for a year at the Nanda language program is about $2,400 USD.

The program's material is also quite rigorus, the friend who attended spent most of the first semester in remedial chinese classes to get is chinese to a high enough level to pass. Like most chinese programs even struggling students are given decent grades.

He did mention there is Old boy Hopkins network in China where they help each other to get jobs and do work here. He got a decent job doing trading in Shenzhen after graduation. He's doing well now doing free-lance trade consulting.

To get into the program you have to do well on the HSK (level 6) or other chinese test. California has a standardized test that you can pass aswell. Also showing academic apptitude is quite important.

The people were a bit protective and proud of their program and would let neighboring students in Nanda go to listen to their big seminars. Also unlike language programs which have variable difficulty most people work very hard and don't have time to learn "bar chinese". You also usually room with a chiense room mate , though since very few of your classes are the same you will probably not hang out with them much.

It is a rigorus expensive program. If you have the money to do the Masters choose a school in the mainland US or Hawaii's good program. Apart from the network connections and the that the course is taught and assessed in Chinese the school doesn't seem as good as US University MA for the same price.

If you're just interested in learning Chinese there are lots of other programs that are 1/2 to 1 /10th the costs and just as good.

Good luck,

SImon:)