Chinese-Forums

Chinese Lover's Day

wix

Chinese Lover's Day is on the seventh day of the the seventh lunar month. In 2003 it is on 4 August. If you have a Chinese lover don't forget!!!

I am a Taiwanese.

I heard lover is only used for the sexual relationship, but no responsibility involved, is it right?

If so, the seventh day of the the seventh lunar month should be called "bf and gf's day" I think that is more correct!

By the way, you have a lover? So you know the day?

In Chinese the day is referred to as aiqing jie. I am not sure exactly how to translate it into English, but the Chinese word for lover is qingren. Some Taiwanese people call it "Chinese Valentine's Day."

I heard lover is only used for the sexual relationship, but no responsibility involved, is it right?

If you are Taiwanese you would have more idea about the exact uses of the word than I do.

By the way, you have a lover? So you know the day?

No, I don't have a lover, but I still know the day.

its called 'qi xi'(seventh evening) or 'qi qiao jie' in chinese, not 'aiqing jie' and its supposed to be the seventh day of the seventh LUNAR month, meaning somewhere early august. the lunar month is something like a month behind the gregorian calander. it has quite a few stories but only one romantic one is the most popular. there was a fine cowherding lad whom the daughter of the heavenly emperor fell in love with. she ran away from the heavenly palace and lived with him on earth. they have a pair of kids too. the princess was good at silk spinning and they led a simple life. but soon the emperor discovered and separated them. the heavenly empress used her hair pin to draw a line across the heaven so that they cannot meet. the line becomes the heavenly river. so only once a year they were allowed to meet each other, the seventh day of the seventh lunar month. on that day magpies would fly together and make a bridge across heavenly river so that the cowherd lad and the princess step on them and meet. that is why during this period magpies went bald cos their heads were being stepped on. traditionally chinese girls will pray to the princess on this day, so that they can acquire good spinning skills and win the heart of their loved ones. that's why its call 'qi qiao', meaning 'begging for skills'.

folklore aside, in astronomy the tales referred to 2 stars, altair, a star in the constellation aquila, and vega, a star in the constellation lyra. representing the lad and the princess respectively. it is said that the stars will cross each other in the summer skies. altair is seen with 2 smaller stars chasing vega together, they were the pair of kids the lad and the princess had. the heavenly river refers to the milky way separating both stars.