Chinese-Forums

one-on-one vs. small class learning at 云南师大

wanderliz

It appears I have a choice in the manner in which I wish to spend my time at Yunnan Normal next year; one-on-one or in a small class (they say less than 10 students per class) My objective is to gain fluency as quickly as possible, so the difference in price is not an issue if it's worth it, and given the benefits of having your own personal teacher/cirriculum, it seems obvious that one-on-one is the way to go, but perhaps there is more to it? Anyone have any experience with or general opinions on that? My thoughts were that perhaps the one-one-one teachers were less experienced, or that there is added benefit to the classroom experience, etc. Basically, anything that seems too good to be true probably is, right? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

i have only had 1 year university mandarin in US, and the last few months of intensive self-study, so I still have a lot to learn. Another thing I was considering was the possibility of taking some group classes (writing? reading?) and then doing oral study one-on-one. I don't even know if this is possible, just a thought...

thanks again!

Liz

Hi Liz,

Choosing a small class or 1 on 1 tutoring depends a lot on a person's personality.

Chinese is a hard language anyway you like to put it. Some people find a classroom setting where they can compete with others and feel, "sort of the I am struggling but at least I am not the dumbest" Other people find that they want the class to suit them as much as possible and so the 1 on 1 class is better.

From experience, sometimes getting a tutor can backfire. As you might ask the tutor to go easy on you and you get used to learning only 10 words a week, when you could be learning 30 -100. Sometimes the tutors just want you to be happy and won't push you like a classroom setting might push you.

Then again you might find it difficult in class with the koreans talking to each other about the class or the odd germans having a running commentary in the back. (Stereotypes are not true just examples of possible situations.) Also 1 on 1 can be lonely at times and difficult to sympathize with other people.

However if you make friends easily without the classroom commonality and you're a driven person who knows how to study and has the passion to , perhaps the 1 on 1 class is better for you.

Personally I enjoy the small group type classes as it gives you someone to compete and measure yourself against. (make sure you're in a challenging enough class).

Have fun in Yunan, it is a beautiful area of China and there are lots of day and weekend trips available. (Espicially with biking which I recommend.)

Have fun,

Simon:)

I think the mix of both is a tremendous benefit in the learning process. I have had both and have the different types to both be effective. I would not do away with either one personally as the types of things that come up can be so different. Adding the other persons input will allow new exposure to many things/words/etc. Sometimes you will already know them other times you would have never encountered that situation. If you can do a mix of both I would highly recommend it.

One thought would be that 1-on-1 classes are generally more effective because they are so intense. However, that level of intense study can be extremely tiring and you're likely to find that after X hours a day you feel a need to do something less draining. Obviously you can do that in a 1-to-1 (Hey, lets go for a coffee!) but at that point you aren't getting the value for money. I'd be inclined to look at mixing 1-on-1 classes with some group-based stuff.

Thanks very much everyone for your responses. I agree that there seems to be some benefit to incorporating both. I hope I'll be able to do that.

33 days till I'm out of the states... but who's counting....? he...he he...:mrgreen:

-Liz