Chinese-Forums

JW202, Student Visas and New Passports

mk063

I have a question... if someone can answer that'd be awesome:

When I enrolled to BLCU, I did so using my passport at the time. Recently, I renewed my passport (meaning they will give me a new passport number.) Soon BLCU will send me my letter of admission and Form JW202. SO basically, when I get those to things, I'll take them to the Chinese embassy to apply for the F visa. My question is this: On the JW202, are they going to write my old passport number? (Or is that area blank for me to fill in?) Because my old passport is no longer valid, can I use the JW202 to get a Chinese Visa on my new passport? Will this be a problem? (Since I applied to BLCU with a passport that is no longer valid?)

Thanks for any replies. :help

The JW202 form has your passport number on it?

*checks* Oh, so it does! I reckon you'll be fine; just take your old passport with you and show it to them before giving them the new one. Phone the embassy before hand if you want to confirm that.

However, don't say who you are in case they say you'll need a new JW202. If they do say that, just turn up at the embassy with your new passport and smile, and hope they don't actually read the form that closely. That's how it'd work in China itself ...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm in the same situation (ignore my visa run thread...things have changed). i have my jw202 and medical form with my current passport number but im going back to england and need to get a new passport because i don't have enough space. why do i feel like this is going to cause some problems when applying for my x visa in england...?

I have enough space for an x visa (2 pages) and then i'm left with a single page at the back. Since i'll be getting a residence permit once i arrive, that's going to take up that last page but there won't be enough space for stamps and after 6 months i need to get another residence permit, so i definitely need a new passport.

After looking at the passport rules in England, it seems like if i get an x-visa on my current passport and then apply for a new passport, they will return my old passport with the new one, so i can still use that x-visa to get into China. I'm sure coming into China will be fine, but getting the residence permit seems like it could cause a few problems.

When I contacted the visa office in London, they said I would need to present both passports, so as long as you have the passport that matches all the information on the jw202 and invitation letter, it's not a problem at all. hopefully this helps people that might have the same issue.

Also, you're still able to apply by post. Hopefully the resident permit won't be an issue when I arrive.