Chinese-Forums

Signatures and Avatars

roddy

What's your forums viewing pleasure?  

1. 1. What's your forums viewing pleasure?

• I have both signatures and avatars turned on
    • I only have signatures turned on
    • I only have avatars turned on
    • I have both turned off

As you (probably) know, users can choose whether they want to view signatures and avatars via their options.

I'm curious as to what settings most people are using - do you find them useless clutter or interesting and bit of extra colour. If there's any particular preference one way or another I'll probably set the defaults that way so that new members have it set up that way automatically.

Just vote up above, and comment below if you have anything extra to say. It's a public poll btw, so if your preference is a sensitive issue don't vote.

I have them both turned on.

I'm curious as to what settings most people are using - do you find them useless clutter or interesting and bit of extra colour. If there's any particular preference one way or another I'll probably set the defaults that way so that new members have it set up that way automatically.

I currently have both turned off, because that is the default setting, though I didn't realize it. I'll probably turn both on, but may end up disabling avatars if they become too distracting or obvious that I'm not getting any work done. (sh)

However, I distinctly recall seeing MartinF's mug once - how would that happen if avatars are disabled?

I think I originally had them turned off but later turned everything on. Many of the avatars on this site are colorful and seem reflective of the personalities of the posters. Also, some are downright cool or cute. Sometimes I like to change my avatar, just like getting a new hairstyle. The signatures often have useful links, and they’re not in the way. I also leave the ads turned on because they aren’t in my face, and I occasionally click on them to see what’s going on. I’m presently watching Pleco, in particular, for their new version, and their ad on this site is my portal to them. I think all the options should be turned on by default, because you can always turn them off, and otherwise you may not know what you’re missing.

I think all the options should be turned on by default, because you can always turn them off
I agree. Anybody who is annoyed enough to make an effort should be able to figure out how to turn them off.

Hi regulars,

I have them turned on, cause I like looking at people's blog's sometimes. Espicially if they write a good post.

As imron said the sizes are limited so they aren't a big deal I think.

Should I put up an avatar? What is the Avatar etiquette?

Can it just be a pretty picture or should it be of my wonderful head (big ears and all).

Have fun,

Simon:)

Should I put up an avatar? What is the Avatar etiquette?

Can it just be a pretty picture or should it be of my wonderful head (big ears and all).

Well if you were female I'd say let's see those big ears, but since you're not, I'm not so sure...

:)

Cheers, it's almost 周五!

Yeah, I should have a 'no horrible ears' rule.

I'll set the defaults to show them both then, there's a clear preference, and they can be turned off again.

To recap, sigs need to be no more than two lines of text. Formatting is enabled, but I ask that you don't do anything distracting with it, and I turned off images in sigs.

Avatars have the size limit, can't be animated, etc. For some reason I find pictures of 'real' faces distracting - it's like they're looking out at me, trying to attract my attention - but cartoon ones don't bother me. That's probably just me though.

Not sure how you'd have seen MartinF's avatar without them turned on. Maybe he sent you a pm? Not sure if it would display then.

Not sure how you'd have seen MartinF's avatar without them turned on. Maybe he sent you a pm? Not sure if it would display then.

I was reading a topic that he had posted a reply to (or maybe he started it? I don't remember), and saw his avatar. At the time I didn't realize that avatars were disabled by default, so I remember thinking it was strange that he was the only one to have set an avatar. But I can't find the post anymore, so it must've been a weird glitch. Anyways, no big deal - it was just a bit unexpected at the time to see this Englishman grinning at me while browsing the forums. It made me grin too.