Chinese-Forums

student visa questions

F_Kal

Greetings,

I received my CSC scholarship papers including a pre-filled JW201 form,

stating that the duration of my studies is from 09/2007 to 07/2008.The admission notice states that I have to apply for an X visa.

1)Will there be a problem if I ask them to issue it for a couple months (until August '08) more so that I have time to travel around and be at the Olympics after I finish my studies? If not, what can I do about that? Maybe, re-issue a new tourist visa - while there ?

2)My flight to China is on the 23rd of this August. I don't think they will have a problem to issue my visa as of that date, right?

Thank you

Fotis

The visa will be valid for 365 days from the date stamped on it by passport control as you enter China. It doesn't matter when you got the actual visa (ie when the embassy gave it to you) nor when your course actually starts/finishes.

I don't want to delete my post, but I'm not sure what I said is correct. Visas are generally valid for a set period of time, and that starts from the day you enter China (not when you get the visa). However the X-visa needs to be swapped for a residence visa and I don't know how that works re expiry.

Adrian, this is confusing me too. All I've ever heard is that the X visa gets you into the country, you then have thirty days to get the residence permit, then the residence permit is all you have. Looking at my old Z visas, which basically work the same way, all they have under length of stay, if anything, is 000.

Now you and shadowdh have X visas reading 365, which seems odd. At the very least it's going to confuse people into assuming they don't need to get a residence permit I think.

No, I've never had an X visa; I was just saying that if someone had a visa valid for a year, it'll be a year from the date they enter China.

Also, visas tend to be for set calendar periods (one month, 3 months, 6 months, one year) and aren't related at all to the actual semester dates.

I'm not saying that X-visas no longer require swapping to residence permit/visa things. Sorry for confusing everyone! I don't really understand anything other than L or F visas.

I am pretty sure the residence permit with an X visa _is_ related to your semester dates. Each time I have come to China for a "year" to study, the residence permit has gone about two weeks beyond the last date of study, it hasn't gone up to a full year from when I first entered China.

However, I know that in Hainan you can get an L visa in country when your residence permit runs out - I have had friends do so before. You just need to go to the PSB for that.

Sorry I should have clarified.. It does in fact say on my visa 000 and the little bit of paper they attach to the page with your visa says you have 30 days to go to the local police station and get a residence permit. which then will entitle me to stay the year... but on my application I put 1 year multi entry... my apologies for not being clear...

Ok, my fault for asking! :wink::lol:

Well I think when I get at the embassy I'll have them clarify everything...

For the time being it's good to know that the X visa is not enough,

that I probably have to get a permit upon entering and that I can extend my stay with an L visa(?) after my initial time runs out....

You'll certainly need to get a residence permit within the first month of arrival. The university will guide you through that process (where are you going by the way)?

End of year extensions - hopefully this will be no problem. To be honest anything we say now could be out of date come next summer anyway.