Chinese-Forums

movie theatres in Beijing

wwu_5

'Hello, I'm new here so sorry if this has already been talked about. I'm going to Beijing in september and as a film lover I was wondering the following:

Are there a lot of movie theatres to be found in Beijing?

And are foreign movies dubbed or subtitled?

There's many movie theaters in Beijing (even though sadly, all they seem to be playing is Transformers at the moment :roll:). If you like somewhat more arthouse kind of movies, you should check out Cherry Lane Movies.

Foreign films come dubbed or subbed, you should aways call ahead to find out which version is screening.

I doubt you'll spend much time in the cinema. There's a quota on the number of foreign films allowed to be shown, and often the best of the Chinese movies don't make it onto the screens either.

However, as a film lover you are quite likely to be absolutely thrilled by the wide availability of cheap, passable quality DVDs of everything from the latest blockbusters to box sets of every Iranian film ever made. Etc.

Cherry Lane is good. Also, check out thatsbeijing.com's 7 day events thing. They often have artsy movie showings in there. As for blockbusters, those theaters are all over (but usually just show a couple movies and are expensive).