Chinese-Forums

Registration Now Open for US Foreign Service Officer Test

FSO

Just wanted to let everyone know that registration has opened for the Foreign Service Officer test (FSOT). This is the first step to a career working around the world in US embassies and consulates, and in Washington, DC, at the State Department.

There is no educational requirement, but you must be a US citizen to apply. Individuals who speak Chinese at a level of 2 or better on the ILR scale are given favorable consideration.

Registration, and additional information, available here: http://careers.state.gov/officer/register.html

There is also a thread here on the subject.

Hi FSO,

I know that in the past, you used to take the test at consulates and the embassy if you were residing abroad. Where are the testing centers now that it is all online? I looked at the state department's site and www.act.org 's site (the company in charge of managing the testing), and got no information about China's testing locations.

So, are all the test sites on the east coast of China? Or would someone living in western China be able to take the test without traveling thousands of kilometers to Beijing?

Thanks!

The new system is being rolled out first in the US, and (by the end of the year, I hear) overseas. It appears that the overseas locations will be at embassies and consulates, and will depend mostly on what level of IT support is available to take the test (i.e. not all consulates have a room full of computers, but some probably do).

The big question would probably be whether the Consulate General in Chengdu will be doing the testing, since that is our westernmost post in the PRC. You asked a good question, and I'm afraid it's one for which we'll have to wait to see the answer.