Chinese-Forums

Knowledge/Power/Beauty/Truth

fragmented

"Scientia potentia est" aka "Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon

"Beauty is truth" - John Keats

Okay, I've been jonesing for a tattoo to go on my upper arms on each side. I'd like to do one in a block font and the other in cursive script. Kind of a left brain/right brain logic/creativity thing. This is what I've come up with, and I hope that it makes sense.

- Knowledge

- Power

- Beauty

- Truth

I want it done in four characters, two arranged vertically on each side, so if anyone out there knows classical Chinese then so much the better for me. I am currently in China for the forseeable future, so this is really, really important to get correct. Suggestions welcomed, comments encouraged, thanks advanced.

fragmented

I'm sorry, as a chinese,I don't think 知 力 or 美 真 make sense.In my opinion,they are just four unattached characters,I can't understand them as Knowledge is power or Beauty is truth.

Knowledge is power can be translated into 知识就是力量.

In this sentence,

Knowledge=知识

Power=力量

You can't abridge them or else they won't have the full meaning.

In general,two unattached characters are hard to express a sentence clearly.Maybe just tattoo one character is a good idea.Because chinese character is famous for its profound

meanings and pithiness.One character can means a lot.E.g.忍.

So maybe one character is enough.

Thanks muddy. I appreciate your comments, but 6 characters on each arm is a little verbose. This is where I was hoping someone who knew a bit of 古文 could help out. I wouldn't even mind 4 separate characters.

Knowledge. Power. Beauty. Truth.

I guess I'd make it clear that they weren't part of a phrase by putting a one to one-and-a-half character space between the top and bottom characters.

Knowledge

[space]

Power

Beauty

[space]

Truth

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

fragmented