Chinese-Forums

Concerns about my visa renewal

Taz X14

I have some general questions that I need answered as soon as possible and would be incredibly grateful to all those willing to assist me in providing this information. I guess I should just tell the story and then go from there about asking the questions. I signed a contract back in November of 2006 for Kid Castle, but completely got screwed.

When I got there they slowly paid us less and less, went on to force us to do more hours, constantly threatened us, in otherwords it was just horrible. So about a month ago I decided I was going to get a new job, found one and asked my employer for the Letter of release.

What has happened since then has been a nightmare, they kicked me out of my house, refused to pay me for the month I worked for them, and pretty much just left me completely. Considering I had no money or anything at the time, I signed on with the new company without the letter of release.

I have now come to realise that I might need it and that all this time I should have gotten a Z visa rather than the F visa which my old company just continuously renewed. I asked them several times about this yet they always continued to threaten us with forcing us to leave the country etc(I'm not going into details about all the threats as some of them are quite personal).

I am at quite a bind here and would like for any advice from anyone as it is time for the renewal of my visa and I am incredibly frightened as to what may happen. Will they revoke the renewal? Will I get deported? I want some insight before anything bad actually happens.

My employer says it's all ok, but I have an odd feeling about it...

Firstly, don't worry as I have not heard of anyone getting deported for working on the wrong type of visa. But you may have to pay some fines/bribes to resolve your issue. However, you've only been working here since Nov '06 so I don't think you're in as much hot water as you think.

That said, I thought a letter of release was only needed if you had been previously working on an Z visa, and wanted to switch jobs. Though I could be completely wrong here. Hopefully your new employer has the right contacts to help you in this regard.

Since you have been on a F visa, and this is still current, and nobody has caught you, as far a the police know you are just a tourist. Your new school can treat you as a tourist who is not changing to a Z visa for work. Just don't mention that you have already been working an your fine.

You won't need the letter of release. This might have been required if you were on a Z visa and changing jobs, but since as far as the police know, this is your first job, there is no past job to release form. In fact, if you did give them a letter of release, then you would be in trouble. That would be admitting that you have been working on a F visa.

Your current employer is probably right that it won't be a problem. They'll need to do a little extra paperwork to get the F changed to a Z and get you a proper Residency Permit of 1 year but that's all. At the worst case, you go to Hong Kong (leave the country) apply for the correct Z visa and then come back in again.

After reading Rincewind's response, I agree that you won't be in any trouble. And you can disregard my previous comments about having to pay fines.

Your previous employer isn't going to "snitch" on you either, because they'd be in hot water too for hiring teachers on the wrong visa.

Hope you can sleep better now!

Talking about a Letter of Release ...

I'm moving too within a week ... up north ... near Qingdao.

As I'm on a Z-visa, I do need the above letter, but neither me nor my current employer have any idea how it looks like in this bureacratic country. Is it a specific form or just a letter stating you no longer work for employer x at date y?

If it is a form, would anybody be so kind to tell me where I can get it or send me a template by private message?

Thanks a mil!