Chinese-Forums

Chinese Name

Shane Moore

I have been thinking for some time of what I should take as a Chinese name and have decided to take the name Xǔ Xiān, based on the character from Madame White Snake.

However, I seem to be having a problem finding the hanzi in text format rather than in pic format. Could someone please provide them in both traditional and simplified form?

Also, what do you think of this as a name? How common is the practice of taking the name of famous people or characters in China? In America, it is fairly common, in fact my name "Shane" comes from a Western novel by the same title.

Thanks skylee.

I have read the story and knew that he originally died of fright upon seeing Bai Suzhen in her true form, but in the end they had a happy life.

I guess it didn't occur to me that he may be viewed as a coward by the Chinese. Perhaps this will require yet some more thought. I like the idea of taking a famous name and if it had as a given name either Xian or Sheng (which are similar to my English name), that would be a bonus.

Interesting point imron, but not all fictional names are created equal. As I mentioned, I am named after a fictional character from an old Western novel.

So I guess the trick would be to find a name from either an historical figure or literary character that would not illicit the kind of reaction that those two examples would receive.

Of course, I am not dead set on such a name, I just like the idea. If I came across another name that I liked, I would certainly be open to it. Any suggestions?

As mentioned, it's not really the same feeling. Just because your parents told you that you are named after a character, does not make your particular name unique or significantly out of the ordinary like a markedly noticeable one. "Shane" is just a regular name. How many millions are named "John" after John Wayne? Who knows, "john" is just a regular name like anything else. I also think you are more looking to get a name that is going to appear to locals as "Luke Skywalker" than anything else.

Actually BrandeX, that is the exact opposite of what I want. Why would I want to choose a name that would make me seem ridiculous? That is why I am having my ideas parsed here so that I won't get a Luke Skywalker style name.

What Shane said reminds me of how Forrest Gump got his name. :mrgreen:

Shane, if you would accept non-famous names, perhaps you could consider using the word 山 (shan1) or 生 (sheng) to form a name.

生 (sheng) is commonly used in names, usually commemorating the place / season of birth, such as 港生 (gang3 sheng1, born in HK), 滬生 (hu4 sheng1, born in Shanghai), 京生 (jing1 sheng1, borning in BJ), 秋生 (qiu1 sheng1, born in Autumn), etc.

山 (shan1) is also popular. If Moore is your real name, perhaps you could consider 莫雅山 (Mo4 Ya3 Shan1)

Having a famous name is not completely unheard of in China though, I once met a Taiwanese guy whose given name was 啟超, after 梁啟超 (he had a different surname though).

Maybe you can take a regular surname and a famous given name?

• 2 weeks later...