Chinese-Forums

Mass tourism - Longsheng terraced fields case

Long Pan

If not in Longsheng terraced fields, you must have experienced this kind of mass tourism which in some area has dramatically changed the local economy.

"In May this year, the Dragon Backbone alone (Longsheng)- the core area of the 700-year-old terraced fields - drew 50,000 visitors, including 10,000 from overseas”. :oops:

For sure for those looking for authenticity, they’d rather go bicycling in the Beijing suburbs ! Read more here (from China Daily July 12th edition).

Tourists always destroy the thing they want to see. That is life. The people of Longsheng can't have it both ways. They want the tourist money and they want to keep what they had before. It is not possible.

I love the way China Daily goes on about how much tourism is damaging the place then gives directions and advice on how to get there!

The growth in wealth of the general population and the affordability of travel has resulted in a huge growth in domestic tourism. Many sites are suffering the same fate as Longsheng - it is not just an isolated case. And I'm sure that having the majority of these tourists concentrated during the May 1 or Oct 1 holidays doesn't help things either!

The authorities need to do a better job of identifying sites with special historic and cultural value, and take appropriate steps to protect them. However, this doesn't necessarily mean limiting access to tourists - it could take the form of regulations regarding the responsible development of infrastructure to lessen the impact to the local environment. Or in the case of Longsheng, develop ways to conserve and recycle water.

I just finished reading the articial, and it seems one of the big issues is the farmers are now focusing on tending to the tourists rather than their fields. This is understandable, they go where the money is. But if they don't sustain their fields, then the tourists will stop coming and they have no fields to go back to. The government needs to provide incentive to the farmers to properly maintain the fields. This could take the form of subsidies for their crops, building new schools, etc. I do realize that this is easier said than done.

of course the farmers are more interested in tourism. given the choice (and how often

do these farmers get a choice) between running a B&B or guiding tourists and working

12 hours a day in mud up to their knees, they're going to take the tourism option. not

to mention that they're probably earning 8-10 times what they made at subsistence farming.

why should the government provide incentive to the farmers to properly maintain the fields?

i can see the need to prevent erosion and flooding, but to maintain a culture just for the

sake of maintaining a culture? sure, the terraces are pretty, and the natives are so cute in

their little costumes. it seems a little condescending to insist these people (yes, they're

actually people, not just clever, trained monkeys dancing for the tourists) continue to live

like peasants so that the tour groups can enjoy an authentic cultural experience.

i realize there has to be some balance. lose the fields = lose the tourists = lose the

tourism income. i simply get annoyed when people lament the loss of so-called cultural

heritage from the comfort of their laz-y-boy. Professor Lu says "The distinct and smooth

lines of the Longsheng terraced fields are particularly fascinating to scenic image

capturers," but i doubt the professor has spent much time behind a water buffalo.