Chinese-Forums

Has anyone read/own 红尘 (red dust) by 马建?

梅克立

大家好!

Just wondering if anyone has a copy or knows the direct translation for the following quote

"But I will walk the road however hard it is, because only on the road can you see that yesterday lies behind you and tomorrow waits on the path ahead."

~马建

I could obviously translate it myself but I want what he actually wrote. I'm in the US and there isn't a handy bookstore to go purchase it. Heck - I don't even know if there is a Chinese copy available but thought I would inquire.

谢谢!

"But I will walk the road however hard it is, because only on the road can you see that yesterday lies behind you and tomorrow waits on the path ahead."

不管路多么艰难,我都会一直走下去,因为只有如此才能感觉到消逝的昨天和将要到来的明天。

不管路多么艰难,我都会一直走下去,因为只有如此才能感觉到消逝的昨天和将要到来的明天。

Is this quoted from the book (as requested), or a personal attempt at translation? I don't get any appropriate hits online, which makes me suspicious.

Is this quoted from the book (as requested), or a personal attempt at translation? I don't get any appropriate hits online, which makes me suspicious.

:oops:

I made a misunderstanding of the word "direct translation".......

It's a PERSONAL translation by myself.:(

The version here might be the original:

不管多艰难,我都要一路走下去,因为只有在路上你才能看到昨天在你的后面,明天在路的前方等着你。

That's a NY Times review of the English translation, translated into Chinese by Zhang Xingjie. It's a good bet he used the original for Ma Jian's own lines, but I'd still want to confirm it with the book itself (which doesn't seem to be online).

Thanks for the efforts guys. I wonder where one might be able to find the Chinese version of the book for sale? Taiwan?

I really enjoyed reading the line that was posted in Chinese - reminds me of something out of the Lord of the Rings. Beautiful!

This store apparently used to have it, but is out of stock at the moment. This edition was published by Mingpao in HK.

http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=4292

紅塵 馬建 

出版: 明報

出版日期: 2002/12

國際書號: 9629737892

原價: HK$85.00 現售: HK$80.75 節省: HK$4.25

簡介

這本書的英譯本獲2002年托馬斯‧扣科圖書大獎(英國文學界最高榮譽的旅行文學大獎)。作者馬建是一名定居倫敦的中國作家,1953年生於中國青島、1986年居香港、1997年移居德國,在魯爾大學任教,著有中短篇小說集。紅塵這書是作者旅遊整個中國的所見所聞、中國社會與人的關係,令讀者可深思其中,領略這遍土壤的特別文化