Chinese-Forums

What does this name mean?

Foundinhell

According to the Lin Yutang Dictionary, there are -

these characters with the pronunciation of "ying",

and these with the pronunciation of "zi".

Although not all of these characters are commonly used in names, you could appreciate that it is quite difficult to tell how "Yingzi" is written in chinese and what it means by simply telling us that it is a girl's name.

That said, one of the possibilities is "櫻子", which is a Japanese-influenced name meaning cherry tree/blossom.

Although not all of these characters are commonly used in names, you could appreciate that it is quite difficult to tell how "Yingzi" is written in chinese and what it means by simply telling us that it is a girl's name.

I agree. But I guess "Yingzi" could be "英子" or "英姿", the former is a commonly used name in China, while the latter is the name of a well-known character in HongKong TVB series "Armed Reaction"(陀枪师姐). :wink:

skylee

I know I know but that's all I got :( I found it in the book "Summer of Betrayal" by Hong Ying.

coarsec

Does those name mean cherry tree too?

Edit: I looked it up myself :) I really like 英姿, would that make a pretty girl name? ^^

But does 英 mean only "brave"? In my dictionary it says "A person of outstanding talent or wisdom", and "brave" and "falling flowers" while http://www.mandarintools.com/worddict.html says it means only "brave"

I know I know but that's all I got I found it in the book "Summer of Betrayal" by Hong Ying.

I've never read this book so I could not confirm "Yingzi" is originally "英姿" or "影子" or anything else. But the author "Hong Ying" is "虹影" in Chinese, and you konw there are often some connections between an author and his/her character, hence maybe skylee is right that the name should be "影子". Though, it seems few Chinese parents would name their daughter "影子".:wink:

What would make the best girl name? "英子" or "英姿"?

"英姿" would be my favorite if I were the author.:D And following are several Chinese idioms including this word:

英姿焕发

英姿飒爽

英姿勃勃

All describe the state of person(s) in heroic bearing.