Chinese-Forums

Travel Insurance

Shadowdh

Hi there,

well I am looking for travel insurance to cover me for the year I will be in China... I am in the UK and would like to keep costs down... does anyone have any tips about good companies to look in to...?? Cheers

I contacted Insure & Go and asked them. I told them I'd be studing abroad for a year and they told me that rather than taking a one year holiday insurance policy I should take their backpackers policy which is actually cheaper. The other company I'm looking at is Endsleigh. They're more expensive but actually cover the tuition fees etc.

Endsleigh are fairly good as mentioned above as it is possible to choose differenet packages according to your situation.

Another to check out is STA travel's own insurance - again they offer three grades that go up in price wih regard to the cover. So you get a choice and can cut out the cover that you don't need. For a year its going to be at least a couple of hundred quid tho, but better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0A536D8E-D58536CA/uk_division_web_live/hs.xsl/travel_insurance.htm

I looked at Endsleigh, as I also wanted laptop cover. In the end, I just didn't bother.

BNU make you either show medical insurance or buy a policy there-and-then during the registration process; I did that.

I guess I need to look into this, as I currently am without health insurance.

Have any of you come across health plans for foreigners from Chinese insurance companies?

Though truth be told, if something were to happen here where I would need insurance, I think the cost would be the least of my worries.

Thanks for all the replies...

Trailfinders quoted 399 (ouch) so thats why I thought I would look around... I get health insurance included in the uni thing I have but I (and more specifically the wife) thought it would be good to have a little more coverage for any (god willing there are none) emergencies... I will look into the others as suggested here, on a side note, my mother suggested first directs insurance as they seem to be pretty good...

One thing to look out for is an age limit. A few I've checked won't offer the insurance if you're over 26-or if they do it's considerably more expensive.

Insure and Go start at under £200 if you take a £120 excess, about £200 for a £60 excess and about £220 for zero excess for 12 months cover (their backpackers insurance which they told me was the best one for a study year abroad).