Chinese-Forums

Chinese Visa Policy Tightens

FSO

I thought this message from the consulate's American Citizen Services office might be of interest here. (If you are an American living in China, I would encourage you to use the link at the end of the message to register with the embassy and consulates - you will automatically get messages like this in the future.)

Date: August 6, 2007

Warden Message: Chinese Visa Policy Tightens

The Entry and Exit Administration Bureau of the Ministry of Public Security has tightened its regulations pertaining to the issuance, renewal and alteration of visas. The changes took effect July 2007. For the foreseeable future, it will no longer be possible to change tourist (L) and exchange (F) -type visas to other types. Many applications that formerly could be handled by a representative now must be completed in person by the applicant. Additionally, express visa service is no longer available. Enforcement has tightened of entry and exit violations, with recent reports of police, school administrators and hotel staff checking to ensure that foreigners have not overstayed their visas.

Please be advised that current regulations state that the penalty for overstaying a visa is 500 RMB per day of overstay, not to exceed 5000 RMB and/or detention. The period of detention can range from 5-30 days depending on the severity of the violation. Detention may be longer than 30 days in the case that the authorities believe that the foreigner was involved in criminal activity. The Embassy is aware of several recent detentions of American citizens relating to visa overstays and violating the terms of their visas (i.e. working while on a visitor’s visa).

For more information, please consult with you local Public Security Bureau’s Entry and Exit office or logon to Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau’s English language website at http://www.bjgaj.gov.cn.

U.S. citizens residing or traveling in China are reminded to register with the U.S. Embassy or closest U.S. Consulate by entering your travel itinerary and contact information at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/home.asp. In case of difficulties registering online, please contact the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Thanks for the post. This has been mentioned as a consequence of the Olympics, but this is the first time I've seen anything concrete. I'm not convinced that its just related to the Olympics though - I think like a lot of things (subway lines, for example) it's stuff that would be happening anyway speeding up and / or being attributed to the Games.

PS You Yanks have a warden? They really don't trust you, do they . . .

The changes took effect July 2007. For the foreseeable future, it will no longer be possible to change tourist (L) and exchange (F) -type visas to other types.

Can't even be changed to a student visa? Brilliant!!! There goes our school's business for the next semester - they would never issue X visas in advance - you always had to change from an L.

Do the new policies only apply to Americans or to other nationalities as well? I have some South American friends coming and want to give them the heads up if it's necessary. Thanks!

I met somebody working at the Hutong School the other day, who said that they're also weeding out amongst applicants. Amongst others, it is now extremely difficult to get a visa if you're Nigerian or a young(ish) woman from Russia.

Amongst others, it is now extremely difficult to get a visa if you're Nigerian or a young(ish) woman from Russia.

I don't want to make any broad generalisations, but I can think of some reasons why they might be specifically targetting these groups.

uh-oh...

Here's my situation. Still waiting on my JW202 from Yunnan Shi Da. They told me two months ago it would take a month to receive, and have yet to reply to any of my emails inquiring as to its delay. I am flying into San Francisco (the consulate in my jurisdiction) on Sun 26 August, and out to Kunming late Tuesday night. My original plan was to mail my forms/passport to my friend in SF as soon as I received them, and then pick up my visa on that Monday or Tuesday before I left. In the absence of the forms needed to issue my student visa, I figured I would mail my passport to my friend and pick up a tourist visa before I left. Now I read that it is no longer possible to change a tourist visa into a student visa!?

The SF consulate website is less than helpful regarding the fine points of visa prices, policies and issuance time frames. Can anyone who is in the know shed some light?

If I have a friend drop off my application/passport, how long is the regular service for:

X visa?

L visa?

and how much does regular service cost for each?

expedited options and costs?

If (worst case scenario) i keep waiting for the JW202 and don't go to the consulate until that Mon 27th, will it be possible for me to get either an X or L visa the next day? cost for such a service?

What I'm trying to get at is, at what point should I give up waiting for the JW202 and just start the ball rolling on my L visa?

And now the new dillema...what am i going to have to do if I end up arriving with only an L visa?

thanks for any help you can offer.

Liz

wanderliz, though you can't now change visa types while within the China, it is still possible to come on the tourist visa, collect the paperwork in person, and then do a quick trip to Hong Kong (leave the country) get a new visa in Hong Kong, then come back into china. A bit clumbersome but frequently mentioned on this site so many must do it.

Hi Liz,

if you have the official welcome letter from the uni and you get the the consulate on time/early (before 10:30 at the NYC consulate, you should be able to get the visa in one day.

The FSO mentioned it was getting more difficult to switch in county. (the HK way is possible, but hopefully you could get your school to onvernight send you the form inviting you, mention that if they don't do this you may not be able to get a visa.)

Also I am not sure if Fax's work or not. Sometimes they are sticklers about it, is has been awhile since I did a student visa.

Good luck,

Simon:)

I'm actually in a predicament similar to Liz.

Simon, you say that if Liz does her timing right, she can get her visa processed in one day.

However, doesn't it say in the original post by FSO, that "Additionally, express visa service is no longer available."?

In that case, the visa can't be processed in one day, correct? Does this mean that everything will be processed at the 4 day minimum pace?

This news is very disheartening. My paperwork package from China was also delayed heavily and I was counting on an express service to get my work visa ASAP.

collect the paperwork in person, and then do a quick trip to Hong Kong (leave the country) get a new visa in Hong Kong

Careful here, I thought I heard that US citizens could not do the HK visa thing, or at least there were some added complications compared to citizens from other countries?

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me and I will revise this post.

agreed, NewDominion, the potential inavailability of express service is very distressing...

has anyone had firsthand experience with either

a- being denied express service or

b- being denied a visa type change

since this has been implemented?

I wouldn't be surprised if this has less impact than you'd think, especially outside of Beijing. To those of you who are worried it might affect you, all you can really do is try to get in touch with schools / embassies to see what they are saying, come in on the actual visa you need if at all possible, and have a plan B. Otherwise I'm afraid it's all part of the fun.

I stopped by the admissions office at Yunnan Normal University this afternoon where I was assured that they could still change an L to X visa "otherwise, who would come to study here?" :roll:

She said she hadn't heard of any changes in the rules and suggested that if they have to do with the Olympics than maybe the changes are only effective in BJ. Who knows?

Anyway, for the time being I'm relieved since a few months back I told a friend she could come here on and L and change it to an X and she's already gotten her visa and plane tkt. :)

I called the consulate in San Francisco, and the person I spoke with seemed to be unaware of any changes to the express visa option. After doing some digging, I'm not quite to sure where the American Embassy in China is getting this information from. Perhaps this information is pertinent only to people who are having their visa paperwork processed within the mainland?

Here in the states, anyways, the embassy and all the consulates, both in English and in Mandarin, have no information regarding such changes to the visa policy. In fact, the most recent visa notifications on their sites are for Olympics related visa processing and a price-hike in the visa application fee starting in June 26th, which conspicuously mentions the express option as still... well... an option.

Regards,

ND

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a run to HK, just as mentioned previously, business as usual.

I can confirm the increase in prices... total for 1-year multi-entry X was 1030HK!!:evil:

Expensive, but worth it for a few days of fun in HK. On the other hand, I should have just stayed there... we are battering down the hatches in TW here for Sepat... :help

Well, I got all the supporting documentation from the consulate in DC. I guess I might also mention I was applying as a "state-sponsored" student (ie. I got the Chinese Cultural Scholarship).

Maybe it is a good price, but I am cheap :mrgreen:

Shaun