Chinese-Forums

What's happening at Tiananmen?

cdn_in_bj

That place gets crowded when they do somethign as simple as lower or raise the flag, which they do every day. It'll be mental.

Get there early and have fun! Being in crowds enjoying what the government wants you to enjoy is part of the China experience. It's actually quite uplifting (going to a big event, not the flag raising/lowering thing which just makes you want to slit your wrists while rolling your eyes at the locals. God, us Brits are so cynical).

Get there early and have fun! Being in crowds enjoying what the government wants you to enjoy is part of the China experience. It's actually quite uplifting (going to a big event, not the flag raising/lowering thing which just makes you want to slit your wrists while rolling your eyes at the locals. God, us Brits are so cynical).

Yes but then us Brits turn out in our droves every day in London to watch a few horses ride through he gates of Buckingham Palace. The changing of the guards in London lasts all of 10 seconds and hardly worth the bother.

And it gets worse. We all turn up at the Palace gates to watch when the actual change of guards is a mile down the Mall at Horseguards or half a mile south at Wellington barracks. So not only do we watch a boring ceremony, but we watch it form the wrong place. It's like trying to watch the flag raising form Zhengyangmen gate.

I went to Tiananmen on the 3rd... I couldn't tell if they were putting it up or taking it down... I thought it was in connection with the 8/1 holiday though.

Do any of you guys living in Beijing feel inundated with the Olympics? I mean, I was only there for a couple weeks this summer and felt like it was too much... They completely ruined the Great Wall experience for me... I'm surprised they haven't painted those 5 Olympic mascots next to Chairman Mao's portrait at Tiananmen.