Chinese-Forums

Would anyone have suggestion for a chinese name for my daughter?

Sabine

Hello, Thank you so much for your help Skylee, it has been very useful indeed! I went away for the weekend and asked a couple of young chinese girls how to pronounce some of the names that have been suggested and names I thought were very beautiful, when spoken in English did not at all appeal to me being spoken in chinese. I got the pronounciation totally wrong.

I was hoping to find a name that English people won't have a problem with in how to pronounce it since we are living in Australia and I am originally from Germany. It would be nice to have a name that also has some sort of significance to my daughters personality but I guess you can't have it all.

My daughter has lovely green eyes, so Mei Lu, or is it Mei Luo would be quite fitting I think. In Australia the English male name Milo is not unusual so I would not be too worried that my daughter would be called Milo.

My first daughters name is Mei Li and I always knew that Mei is beautiful and that Li can be for Plumblossum but is it right that it is also for Jasmine? This would be rather funny since my daughters first name is Yasmine.

Sabine, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but given that you are German-Australian, neither speak, write, understand or can pronounce Chinese, your daughters are not Chinese, and you don't have any close acquaintances that speak Chinese, why on earth are you so set on giving your daughters a Chinese name? If you want a name that is meaningful and pronounceable for you and your family, wouldn't a German name be a better idea?

Lu, see post #1 -

I have already another girl whose middle name is Mei Li and the surname is Heng. My second daughters name should also start with Mei as this is a tradition that runs in the family.

As to the "Li" in "Mei Li", if you have not yet chosen the Chinese Character (I mean perhaps some of the elders in the family might have chosen one), then I suppose you are free to interpret it as 李 (Li3, plum), 梨 (Li2, pear), 莉 (Li4, jasmine), 荔 (Li4, lychee) etc. The numbers denote the tones if they are pronounced in Mandarin.

Hello, Thank you Skylee! once again. My husbands dad migrated from Singapore to the UK in the 50's where he married a English lady. He never spoke chinese to the children, therefor my husband does not speak chinese. My husbands dad died several years ago and there is no chinese family in the Uk with the Singapore side of the family being rather loosely connected to us. My husband and his siblings have a chinese middle name in common and depite there being not much heritage to hold on to he and his siblings decided to keep the custom of a chinese middle name. I respect that custom even though I am German, but our children are one quarter chinese and therefor I think it is right to do so. We lived for a few years in HK and Japan, but that was before we had kids.

I very much appreciate all the help, especially from Skylee. would Mei Lu and Mei Luo be the same?

Thank you again!

Hi Skylee, I just managed to find my way through all the links you had so kindly included in your comments and actually listen to some of the names and of course now I know that Lu and Luo and very different. I am now deciding between Mei Lu and Mei Tian.

I would like to let you know that we decided on Mei Lu for our daughter. Thank you very much for all your help with a very special thank you to Skylee. I very much appreciated your help and without it it would have been so much harder to decide. A BIG thank you!

Sabine