Chinese-Forums

Chinese Exams

heifeng

Interesting experience heifeng, thanks for sharing.

I happened to take Putonghua dengji Kaoshi the final year of my uni, as arranged by our school. It certainly wouldn't count into our GPA and almost everybody took it lightheartedly, except at least for one of my roomies. He doesn't seem to practise putonghua too much before attending uni, or even after, since his Shandong hua was well understood. Problem is from his home area people often do not distinguish "s" from "sh", and it got interesting weeks before the test b/c he suddenly would talk to anybody in putonghua.

IIRC his score was just wee above 80, and a 老乡 (fellow townsman) of his scored 77 something (definitely not 二级). I scored 89.1, it's alright until a classmate and close friend scored 93 and showed it off all the time which pissed me off.:mrgreen: I think he (93 man) was asked after the test to have a recording session together with two (or was it one) other schoolmates who scored 一级. That's about 3 in 500.

Nice, thanks for sharing your experience too Mythia. Yeah, I've heard if you score pretty high, (close to 一甲)they make you do it again or re-evaluate your recording or something. My friend from Guangdong said that only one guy from her uni of her graduating class reached the mid to high 90's too and they re-evaluated his recording to see if it was worthy of an 一甲, but in the end, he didn't get it. :(

I seriously feel like the PSC and I have some unfinished business to attend to (i.e....ego still a lil' bruised:mrgreen:)...so until I get a chance to retake it, I'm still trying to not mangle tones in my everyday speach and actively listen to recordings with standard speech, etc.

So, anyone who would like to also share their PSC experience or post related learning resources, feel free to do so here...

• 2 years later...

Ok, so for those of you who possibly read my whiny post on the aims and objectives thread, I have an update on yet another CHINESE EXAM experience!

Finally, after nearly 5 tortuous months of whining and waiting (2.5 months of legitimate wait time and an additional 2 months of being told scores are running late) I finally received my court interpreter test score. cool.gif

Drum roll please.....and I've never been so happy about NOT passing an exam*....hahha. Let me explain, I took the exam the very first time (after some proding from my classmates even though I said I needed some more serious prep time) to see if there was any hope of passing whatsoever. After a while I thought, hey how far off the mark was I --was this just an absolute lost cause or what. I mean, I will always have the exact opposite problem of my classmates & while it works really well for study groups it also makes me really wonder where I stand in terms of getting a passing score. Therefore, I am glad to announce, that with some further work I believe passing is DEFINITELY within reach. The only really really SUCKY^n thing is that I really wish I would have received my score 2 months ago so I could work more on my problem area(s) with more than just 30 days left to prepare for the next exam offering...so, unfortunately, it might be too little encouragement too late for this exam, but at least I can still work towards the goal of passing sooner rather than later. I might need to do some actual serious studying now....(*This is a lie. That was the fleeting happiness from knowing I had not failed every section. Now I just wish I would have just passed it and been done with it hahahha tongue.gif )

[Edit see post #71 in summary 2/4 there]

So overall my score was 'ok' for my first attempt. (Also my scores on this exam were higher than the scores I received on Chinese CATTI interpreting exams and further proof CHINESE exams, as in 'IN China' are the hardest by far!)

**Lastly, I swear I went into this exam prepared but I literally learned when I opened the envelope that the SIGHT scores were NOT combined into one score--rather they were two separate scores. OOPS. A bit of a big lack of preparation -Bad me. Bad me must go practice now.

*No, actually I'm not super happy, but I'll live.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

That's it I'm jumping off a bridge....(no not really...but once again I'm not happy with my performance obviously)

I just received my newest test results:

[EDIT: see post 71 in summary 3/4 there]

UGHHH, so close, yet so far! However, I'll have to provide more updates in the aims and objectives thread about overcoming this setback.

• Like 3

Haha thanks. Yes, I am a strong advocate of just being hard headed and plowing away at studying and going out and practicing despite setbacks:) Maybe that can serve as inspiration for some :wall Anyway, I hope to have better news after the next time I take the exam!! I'll also try to start a thread to collect useful bilingual language resources and such things that I have found to be helpful ...(At least this is what I do when I can't keep myself organized on my PC hehehe).

Lastly, there are also a few new things that I have been looking into these days that should be mentioned on this exam thread so it doesn't solely consist of me whining :tong

Firstly, happenings in the the US: The National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters Is developing an oral test for Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Vietnamese which is going to be available soon. (Their website here says Summer 2011 but according to their recent webinar it seems like it will be later this year. FYI, there are FREE webinars which you can call into and join via a net meeting too. Here are the prerequisites to register for testing. Anyone interested?

Next, what's up in China: Even though the old Advanced HSK is now dead and gone (pour out a little liquor *tear*) I haven't gathered much info on the new one and put it up here....however, for those of you interested in something other than exams designed for foreign (or Chinese minority) students, let me introduce a lil' gem that has been around for a few years, but I personally just discovered online not too long ago: 汉字应用水平测试 Now this exam seems quite interesting. I wonder if anyone on the forums has taken this exam ~or~ knows anyone who has. It seems like an intense way to study and brush up on your characters..... which has been recently under discussion in a different thread here.

Cheers~

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

As an update, and as a follow up to posts 64 & 65, better news is finally here! I have officially completed (as in actually passing) all of my exams for being a certified interpreter! Yeah! Of course now this means I'll need to find a different exam to torture myself over. Don't worry, there are always more...also, I will accept recommendations (Something involving handwriting perhaps?)

In fact I have two exams in mind already (neither involve writing by hand though *rats*!) which I will probably take later this year. Unfortunately the more advance/professional these exams are, the less I can discuss them..or basically not at all. However, as words of encouragement, if you set your mind to it, you can do it with patience & persistence! (Here's your challenge for the day, there are about 50* idioms & sayings to express this very idea in Chinese...think of a few...& don't stop until you get to 10...then write them...in pen/pencil!)

*10 bucks Imron's gonna say 'only 50'?!? :clap

• Like 2

Ok, if you are in China next time I am in China, then the 10 bucks is yours! I'll autograph a crisp 10USD bill and hand it over to you!

You know you want to

Oh, you know me all too well :lol: . I suppose even if I cannot actually take any of those tests, I can still learn about the subject matter~~ I would really 佩服 myself if I could answer questions like this right off the bat: :wall

【例2】 (2010-浙江-93)党的十七届四中全会审议通过了《中共中央关于加强和改进新形势下党的建设若干重大问题的决定》,全会提出要把( )作为重大而紧迫的战略任务抓紧抓好。

A. 推进马克思主义中国化

B. 建设马克思主义学习型政党

C. 提高党的执政能力建设和先进性建设

D. 推进惩治和预防腐败体系建设

ok, I'm sure the answer is killing everyone (I have no clue) here you go: 2012年浙江公务员考试:政治常识历年真题精选

• 2 years later...

Thank you heifeng for all the great information, exam reports and links in this and other topics!

After passing the HSK6 (238) last year I had been wanting a new challenge. I could of course take the HSK again and try to get a better score, but HSK6 is an expensive exam and I want to concentrate on my pronunciation right now, which leads me to the PSC!

My university (Sun Yat-Sen University, where I hope to continue to masters this September) will most probably have the 普通话水平测试 in October which leaves me roughly 4+ months to practise. I have bought the 普通话水平测试教程 with the cd and found a tutor with whom I will meet weekly. I can also torture my husband and ask him to listen me read. He is Cantonese, but his putonghua is quite good. My tutor has a very standard Mandarin and comes from the North.

I need to make a clear plan first, but at the moment my plan is to drill the pinyin/pronunciation for the 6593 words on the wordlist my book offers. With my tutor I will most probably concentrate on the texts, reading outload and have my tutor to correct me.

My goal is to pass the exam, even 61 points would make me very happy. But the most important thing is to have a clear plan on how to improve my pronunciation, which is very important as I study teaching Chinese.

Any tips and ideas on how to prepare for the PSC are highly welcomed and appreciated!