Chinese-Forums

Late admissions to a one year language program

babelpeon

Hello fellow chinese lovers,

I suddenly decided to quit my job and learn chinese for one year in China. I realize that the application deadline has passed for most schools. I know I'm extremely late to the ballgame.

Is it possible to still gain entry for the upcoming school year?

The thing is, I prefer Guangzhou because I already speak some cantonese and it wouldn't be such a language shock. But anywhere that will take me at this point I'll consider.

Any advice? Would I have to resort to traveling to China on a tourist visa, sign up in person at a university, and then convert my tourist visa to a student visa? Would that even work?

Any other (inexpensive) options if I really want to be in China in a month and studying?

Thank you,

Alex

Alex,

Most universities and private language training programs don't mind if you show up late for the semester - they want your tuition money. Applying ahead of time is usually only necessary for special intensive programs or scholarships - it's also necessary if you want a student visa before coming to China.

Most people seem to come to China on a tourist visa and change it t a student visa once they're her, some universities won't even go through the hassle of issuing student visas beforehand but will change your visa for you once you've enrolled and paid tuition. There have been recent reports of changes to the visa policy, so I would double-check with the University or school's admission to ensure that they will be able to change the visa from a tourist one to a student one before you book your plane ticket.

If Guangzhou appeals to you you might want to check out Sun Yat-Sen (Zhongshan) University:

http://www.sysu.edu.cn/en/index.html

All the best!