Chinese-Forums

Calling a Chinese mobile from outside...

cute7

Hey!

I hope this is the best forum to put this question in.

Currently my Chinese girlfriend does not have a telephone in her apartment which leaves only her mobile for telecommunication. I never had difficulties to call a telephone in China with all those extra numbers. But somehow when I try calling her mobile it won't bring me through.

Is it possible that it's not possible to call mobiles from outside China?

If it's possible and someone knows how to do it, could you explain to me what exactly I have to dial to come through? For example if her mobile number starts with 138XXXXXXX.

I would be very grateful for any help given. :help:mrgreen:

If this is of importance, I am in Germany. And she is in Shanghai.

Yes, you can call mobiles.

First dial the international access code from your country (usually 00) then 86 for China then the number as usual.

So probably 0086138XXXXXXXX

Ok, I didn't try it like this yet. I always used a third party provider for cheaper calls.

The stuff I dialed ended up like this: 010450086138XXXXXXX

I will try it without the third party provider and it will probably work. Too bad then that we can't use third party providers to call mobiles. They really are cheaper at least in my country.

Speaking of a difference of several Euros. Anyway, thanks for the quick answer.

Anyone knows if charges for calling mobiles in China are expensive? Or is it solely the issue of my local telecom provider? Sorry for being so inexperienced. :wink:

Now I'm not entirely sure if this also goes for Chinese mobiles, but any time I call to any phone abroad I have to call: number for calling out - country code - area code/start of mobile phone no, but minus the first zero - rest of the number.

So for your girlfriend you need to call 00-86-38XXXXXXX (leave out the first 1).

I hope this works!

Edit: but if you can use skype, it's much cheaper, do look into it.

In Holland we have 'phone shops', places that have some payphones and sell an array of phone cards to call cheapy to all conceivable countries. Ask a Chinese in Germany which card is the best.

So for your girlfriend you need to call 00-86-38XXXXXXX (leave out the first 1).
I have never heard of leaving out the 1 (leaving out the 0 is pretty much universal though). The one occasion where I made a direct call from Germany, I included the 1.

If you left it out, wouldn't you end up in a random province. E.g. my number is 1352..., if you leave out the 1, you'll end up in Datong (area code 0352), no?