Chinese-Forums

Working in China - Salary question...

cute7

Hi everyone,

I am still a student but I was wondering about my future salary. I just read something on these forums that working in China could only bring 4000 to 5000 RMB. It was not clear what kind of position in a company that would be. But here is the actual question:

I am studying Bachelor of Business Administration in Germany. A well-known German magazine calculated the average income of graduates from my University. The income averages at 32.000 RMB per month (starting from the first month). This of course is only applicable to jobs in Germany. What I was wondering, if this German company sends me over to work in China, would my salary be adjusted to Chinese standards or would I get the whole package of 32.000 RMB? I am not sure about that. And maybe there is an international regulation for this.. Anyway, I hope someone can give some insight on this matter. Thank you! :wink:

the 4-5000k figure you are referencing is the typical entry level TEFL salary. Any other industry particularly if funded by a non-chinese company will likely be vastly different depending on the nature of the position

Hi Cute7,

Concerning non-teaching jobs. The issue is the difference between Expat package Jobs and Local-hire jobs.

Expat package Jobs are jobs where you are first hired in a western country and then sent to China to work. Because you didn't choose to work there you are paid 1) in Dollars and Euros i.e. 4 times the local salary 2) hardship pay might be additional 10-50% of salary and 3) Often free or subsidized housing. These on the low side are 15,000 RMB a month - 35,000 a month starting, on hte high side. (usually they are denominated in dollars or Euros so look smaller.)

Local -Jire Jobs means you are hired in China and are seen as at the same level as ordinary chinese people . The University graduate from a Chinese univeristy is lucky to get 1500-2500 RMB a month (sometimes more in Shanghai as it is expensive) . The westerner typically can not even get these entry jobs and has to qualify for a manager or consultant position of some sort., Their starting salaries are usually 3,000-7,000 per month depending on the Industry (English teaching is an exception due to high demand) . Income tax for foreigners starts at 4,800 RMB and is only like 12-15% anyway. (Plus there are ways of avoiding it like most countries)

In Shanghai, if you're careful about your money you can get by on about 6,000 RMB/month . In other cities it can be a decent salary and allow you eat out all the time and travel on the weekends.

Inflation has been rising in recent years however and housing costs seem out of step from other cheap areas of life. There are posts on housing costs in different places You can check them out.

The expat package jobs are growing rarer as chinese graduates' english is improving and companies are localizing, but there are still some around. If they offer you this take it as it will give you a great life. (Although Having too much can cause you to lose touch with common people in China and hole up in your expensive gated villas and bars) But generally an easy life is a good thing for most people.

Over 15,000 RMB a month is a fantastic job in most parts of China.

Good luck,

have fun,

Simon:)