Chinese-Forums

Cellphone plans/rates information - Can't find any!

alkizmo

Im leaving for Shanghai in 3 weeks.

Im going to buy a China Mobile GSM Sim card from eBay so that I can have a number for me to call and receive phone calls the moment I land. (I got an unlocked GSM phone)

However, I can only find a PREPAID & non-prepaid SIM on eBay.

Since I got a smartphone, I'd rather go on a monthly plan service than prepaid (so that I can get a data package).

I went on China Mobile's website, but the english portion of it has ZERO information on plans and rates. It's only investors relations.

Anyone can guide me in the right direction to acquire information about the plans and such. And how to activate my SIM card over the phone?

If I cant activate a monthly plan over the phone, then can I use a prepaid SIM card and then once im in China, I can simply go change from prepaid to monthly by visiting a China Mobile corporate store?

Thanks!

Im just trying to be all prepared before landing :P Took me 2 weeks to get a phone in Japan :(

Forget about a monthly plan. They're not simple to get and you don't need one to get a data package. The package is available on pre-paid cards, but not with all prefixes. When I upgraded my phone and needed data services, I needed to get a new card with a 138 prefix, as not all prefixes will support data. You are charged for usage, not a fee for the package.

Just walk into any store (they're everywhere) and you'll be up and running in minutes.