Chinese-Forums

CJKOS Input Method Creator

ipsi()

Just out of curiosity, has anyone played around with this? I've noticed that CJKOS has no option to input Japanese Kanji (so this thread isn't *strictly* related to Chinese), which would obviously make life difficult for Japanese Speakers. I know nothing of Japanese, but I'd like to be able to show off my Treo 680 to people who do when I get back to New Zealand, and thus it'd be kinda nice to be able to say "Hey look, I can input Chinese, Japanese and Korean, all with equal ease!"

As such, one way to do would be to create a simple IME for CJKOS that allows such. If anyone's already done that, sweet! If not, would anyone like to help me have a crack? I've had a look at the help files, but they're not wonderfully helpful (there's a couple of special example files for the IME creator). It'll also probably be mostly grunt work inputting phrases and such like once someones figured out how to do the input.

To be honest, it'd be better if someone sat down and created something that worked off UTF-8, rather than defaulting to GB2312 or Big5 and using code-pages to convert *from* UTF-8... I wouldn't have thought this would be too hard, which makes me wonder why it hasn't been done yet. I know there's a few coders amongst you. Anyone got any ideas? (mikelove is probably in the best position to tell me how hard it is...)

It's great that there's Chinese support at all for the Palm, but it's not always perfect (trying to view simplified and traditional at the same time. Trying to view Japanese Kana with the Big5 set enabled...), and it would be nice if one program could (theoretically) enable the use of any language supported by UTF-8. :)