Chinese-Forums

What's legal on an F visa?

onebir

According to the Chinese Embassy in London (here):

"2. F Visa: Issued to an applicant who is invited to China for conference, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and cultural exchanges or short-term studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.

4. Z Visa: Issued to an applicant who is to take up a post or employment in China, and his/her accompanying family members, and who is to conduct commercial performance in China."

Where does teaching individuals privately, or classes on an irregular basis fit into this. Since the (unwritten) 'contract' is for specific services, delivered by the hour, under UK law it wouldn't be considered employment. A few Chinese friends of mine have expressed similiar views.

But I'm wondering whether the PSB etc

a) regard doing this kind of 'self-employment' as a violation of F visa conditions, and

B) actually bother to do anything about it if they (somehow) find out about it...

I'm pretty sure private tutoring or a few hours at a school would be regarded as a breach of your F visa conditions by the PSB. As for whether they would care or not - different matter. You're unlikely to come up on their radar for private tutoring, and it's hard to see how they'd find out about it. Work at a school and you could get caught up in general checks on the school. You've also got to think about what you are meant to be doing - if the PSB happen across you one day, why are you in China on an F visa?

As for what they'd do - my general impression from what I've read and heard over the years seems to be that they slap you on the wrist, maybe fine you a little, and tell you not to do it again. However they do seem to be tightening up at the moment, at least in Beijing. Hard to tell how much is substantive and how much is pre-Olympic posturing though.