Chinese-Forums

Visa extensions

arnar

I just obtained a single entry 45-days visa valid for a 3 months period. That will do me for the time I'm taking a TEFL course, but after that I only have about 10 days left. I intend to stay until December, go home, and come back to China in January and stay over the Olympics. I will be looking for a job after my course but the short time scares me a bit. I've both sent my embassy and the school a letter regarding this and am waiting for an answer from them.

Will this cause me a real problem? Will I have to get out of the country while they change my visa? Will I have problems returning to China?

Bureaucracy always freaks me a bit! :wall

See here. Basically I wouldn't rely on being able to change your (L?) visa in country very easily - it might be possible, but I'd want to have a plan B, which would probably involve either a trip to Hong Kong or back home. May depend on a number of factors - what kind of passport you have, how much influence your eventual employer has, etc.

Thank you. I've already read the thread you referred to and it confused me a bit. I'm aware that I will probably have to leave the country, but going home is not a feasible option, so I'd rather go to Hong Kong.

I'm hoping the school will help me, since they have a job guarantee program they probably have had a student with this problem before.

Assuming you have a degree, TEFL Cert and are a native speaker, you should have no trouble getting a job at a school which will provide visa support as a matter of course. If you don't, things could be more difficult.

I will be looking for a job after my course but the short time scares me a bit.

Look for a job now. Don't wait untill after the test to apply. They can then start processing your paperwork as soon as you pass the test. You shouldn't find much difficulty finding a school if you explain you are doing the test before you start work. Especially easy if you go outside of the big metropolises to work. Ten days should be enough time to process the paperwork.