Chinese-Forums

My Chinese name

CheukMo

I was given this Chinese name by some friends while I was in college. I've never asked anyone to tell me whether it is a good name or not. I would appreciate any input anyone might have. The last, family or clan name I was given is: My "first" or given name is:

卓 武

I am just curious as to other people opinions on it.

謝謝

Thank you! My friends taught me the pronunciation of the name. I have studied Cantonese, (not regularly and not enough, for a few years) and knew the general meaning of 卓. I knew the meaning(s) of 武 for longer than I've known any Chinese/Cantonese at all. I didn't know if the combining the two characters changed or "amplified" the meaning(s). They gave me the name for my love of martial arts, specifically 詠春拳, and the fact that 李小龍 was my childhood hero (and still is for the most part). They chose 安 because it has a similar sound to the first syllable of my english last name and the fact that I'm a calm, generally peaceful person.

中国人逛海外论坛

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

your chinese name is very good! the 1st character means "excellent"" remarkable",and the 2nd means"martial arts ""powerful",and its chinese pronunciation sounds good as mans name.

Thanks or 謝謝你,

卓武

I also have a Chinese name related question and didn't want to start a new topic, so I post here:

I still haven't decided what Chinese name to use, and it's high time I decided since I'm leaving for China next week.

So, since my given name is Stefan, I have been using 思特凡 so far; however, it doesn't sound good enough to me, plus it takes quite an effort to pronounce it. Furthermore, 思 would provoke some associations with 'death' into the Chinese mind and I'd rather avoid that.

I've been thinking about 善特亮 - I like very much the way the name sounds, the meaning of those characters, and also, aesthetically, the first two are among my favourite characters. So I'd like to ask someone Chinese or with profound enough knowledge of Chinese culture to tell me how that name would go. Thanks :)