Chinese-Forums

Anthropology in China. And Social Sciences.

laurkiik

Hi.

Are there people here who could share their experience on anthropology in China? Especially in Beijing?

This little I already know about the situation in China:

As much as I have learnt, the discipline(s) of anthropology is comparatively little-established in the Chinese academia. Especially what concerns social sciences. Since, as I understand, the social sciences are little-developed in China compared to the success of Chinese physical sciences, engineering etc, and business studies. Some experts have stated to me that it is "pointless" to study social sciences in China.

Anthropology degrees are offered in only a few Chinese universities (notably in Hong Kong), as much as I have casually read. There are some Chinese anthropological magazines. A recent event was the plagiarism scandal of Peking University's Wang Mingming. Fei Xiaotong is considered a leading pioneer.

Is this all correct?

Do you know of current anthropological studies or markable anthro-professors in Beijing or elsewhere in China?

I think, if there develops little discussion on anthropology in this thread, it would still be interesting to use it to discuss the social sciences in China.

Best,

Laur

When I was in Kunming in 2004 I often ate lunch at YunDa (Yunnan University) with a student who was majoring in anthro. But he also was prepping for the grad school exam to get into law school. Whether YunDa has a real graduate studies program in anthro I know not...maybe check their website and e-mail a few profs.

Stormy