Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Hi, just one little question...in the application form when they ask about the duration of the mayor study, is clear the years are 2009 and 2010, but any clue about the months? In the BLCU webpage (my first choice) says the chinese language program starts on august 31, but doesn't appear when it finishes...maybe this isn't a big deal, but I just don't want to make any mistake in the form...

thanks!

In regards to the Foreigner Physical Exam Form, did everyone attach their chest x-rays, ECC, and other laboratory tests? I received a quoted price and it was almost $500 USD. I find it unnecessary to go ahead and spend this large sum of money if I don't receive the scholarship. I don't mind doing it if I am accepted.

Just some further information for those applying from the UK, i have had an e-mail reply from the EU contact for the Scholarship and according to him you do not need to get any degree certificates legalised which would usually have to be done for use of documents in China (so saving a fair few £). :D

Edited by JDavies

Xiamen

I was at the same point I got two AA degrees by the time High School was with a joint enrollment program. However I didn't go the next two years and instead traveled and did volunteer work. Eventually I did get my P.E. (Mechanical) but it was hard going because everyone wondered why I didn't get a B.A.! It means I have had to work twice as hard to prove my worth for every job I do. It's something you need to consider. I am now apply to see if I can do a PhD in china under this scholarship, anything is better than an AA even if comes from China!

Ben

arbigelow,

The same can be said about the ICLP program as the UIP program.

evasiege,

There's no way to check on the progress of your application. I wish there was. If they were together enough to somehow make that available, I doubt we'd need this thread.

Josu-,

The months are from September to June. Specific days depend on the school.

nikkijyu,

The only thing you don't need to attach are the x-rays. But you are supposed to have one to keep on file. It's useless, but it's part of the application. I know people have used it as wall decoration once they got here - one friend taped it to the side of his window to block some draft. Try to find places that specialize in the Foreign Physical Exam... they charge much less than that.

JDavies,

That's good to save cash! Transcripts actually never needed to be notarized though. They have always been okay with unofficial copies (which are usually available for free or very cheap from the school).

Hi all - I've been reading through the pages and pages of posts and have found super helpful information. I found out about this scholarship opportunity only a couple of weeks ago, so I've been scrambling to get everything taken care of before the deadline.

I'm actually living in Seoul right now, but my home address is in Oakland, so I'm going to apply through the Chinese Embassy in San Francisco. The person in the Education Office was familiar with the program. The deadline for them to receive it is April 15 (which I assume will give them time to send it in for the April 30 deadline). They want one original and 2 copies of everything. The address is 1450 Laguna Street, San Francisco, CA 94115.

Since I'm still scrambling to get all my information together, I don't have a lot else to share yet, but my responses to some of the questions are below.

I also did have a question for those folks who did it in the past. It sounds like from the posts that the process does not tend to favor folks who are already studying in China. I was thinking of moving there in the summer (after I'm finished in Seoul) and just take a 4-6 week language course, hoping that I'll get the scholarship and get to study for longer. Does anyone know if that might affect my chances of getting the scholarship?

Where are you applying from?

I am living in Seoul but using my Oakland address on the application.

Are you currently in China?

No, but I was hoping to move there this summer.

What did your local state embassy say?

My local embassy (SF) was knowledgeable about the program. I haven't asked them any complicated questions yet, but the contact person provided really straightforward information about basic information.

Where and how did you get your papers notarized?

I haven't gotten to this yet.

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand?

No, and it sounds like from the posts that I probably shouldn't.

Where did you get your physical exam done?

I have an appointment this week for a physical at Asan International Clinic in Seoul.

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about? Any hiccups you had to work through?

I've been reading the posts so nothing yet...

linguaphile,

Thanks so much for sharing everything you know! It's so nice to see people who do due diligence and are awesome enough to share what they find out. I actually also applied from Seoul, using my NY address. Is Asan listed as one of the places that specialize in the Chinese Visa Physical Exam? I can't remember where I went, but I do remember that mine was - and that made things really easy because they knew what they were doing. I was in and out so fast and it wasn't too expensive. The address is in 서초구 (Seocho-gu) but its a little vague. You should try calling this number 02-586-2441. It's the number that they stamped all the pages with.

As for notarization, I remember going to some public notary/law office that notarized everything. It wasn't so bad price wise, but still not very cheap. It was actually just some really plain office looking place. I was in and out there pretty quickly, too. It might have even been attached to a subway stop. I wish I could remember the place, but I'm sure you can find it online - that's how I found it. You can also get stuff notarized at the US Embassy in Seoul (that's what it says on the website).

I don't think it matters if you're already in China - because the scholarship people wouldn't know that. You would have already applied with the US address. And even if you used a Chinese address, we've got people in this thread that still got the scholarship using a Chinese address on their applications.

Hope this helps.

Man, just typed a huge response!! then hit the back arrrow!!!! anyway here is a repeat

I am living in china but using my Oakland address on the application.

Yes, but I will return in april to the US to finish application

Houston gave a not possible talk to the Confucius group thing. SF tried to determine my level of Chinese by trying to talk to me in Chinese. I asked in English about who to address my application for the CSC scholarship. They said it is only possible for university students to get it. Told me to check the CSC website for more info and indicated that for the area they only sent applications coming from University leaving me with the feeling mine would end up in the trash. It went like this "

Me:" Should I send it to your department. "

SF:"Only if your university is sponsoring you"

Me:"I read the CSC website and they said that is not required I just need to you to forward it to them"

SF:"we only help those students in University"

Me:"But you are the one in charge of sending it to Washington DC and then to China?

SF:"Yes but only ones we feel qualified from a local University, no others"

ME:"So is the is there right address [read address]"

SF:"yes, but you are not a student"

At that point I said thank you for the help and hung up.

Will send originals and 2 copies will do this a kinkos'

After talking to SF and Houston will try to talk to school directly as I plan on trying to apply for masters or Phd. I heard they can apply for the scholarship in my behalf. If this is the case I might use them instead of SF or Houston.

I had mine done in October in China, Planning on sending a copy of this and then getting a new one before I come if I get the scholarship. (Unless this will prevent me getting accepted?)

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about? Any hiccups you had to work through?

I think unless you live or can go an talk to the embassy staff directly, and you live far away or out of the country you may want to apply thru DC. Atleast you know it less likely to end up in the trash. (unless you are a university student and have the schools support).

benhadad,

Sorry about your crappy experience! I'll send you the contact of the guy in DC through private message.

"School of choice" is actually not referring to a school in the States but the three choices you get to study at in China on the application for the CSC scholarship.

I don't know if you can use the Physical Exam from October. I think they're valid for only 6 months. You should check though.

Hey guys,

Just thought I would give an update...I posted back in January. I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I e-mailed the Chinese Consulate in Vancouver and they forwarded me to the BC Ministry of Advanced Education where the application form and instructions were easily available online here: http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/offshore_schools/os_scholar.htm

The contact's name is Arlene Gibson. You can find her contact in the application form/instructions provided at the website. She was really helpful and friendly with all my questions through e-mail.

I submitted it on the very last day March 1 for British Columbia applicants...because I had trouble getting one of my reference letters but the contact at the Ministry said I could postmark it for March 1 since it was a Sunday and I would've otherwise had to mail it a few days ahead since mail doesn't get delivered on the weekend.

There were differences in the instructions on the CSC site and the instructions on this specific site. For me, I do not have to submit the foreign physical examination form unless I get the scholarship...which sort of confuses me as to why Americans and Europeans need to submit it with their application? Anyway, I also didn't need to attach any passport photos.

I put BLCU, Fudan, and Peking as my top 3 choices...

For my province, they're awarding either 5 full-time scholarships or 10 part-time. I met someone the other day from my city who also applied for CSC and got it last year...she said she went through the same process and said it was an awesome experience.

Well, that's about it...

I did have a question though...if I were planning to go to China regardless of whether I get the scholarship, wouldn't I have to apply for the schools directly anyway? Because if I find out that I don't get the scholarship at the end of July, it would be too late to apply to schools directly would it not? I remember xtrapages saying something about preferably not applying to institutions because they might have a "double" registration but then this question popped into mind.

dru86,

If you plan on going to China to study anyway, go for it and just register for the school of your choice. It's not THAT much trouble to cancel one of the double registrations. Once you get the acceptance letter, you would just add it to the rest of your application.

It's just that many people don't have the luxury of going to China if they don't get the scholarship, so I generally recommend people not to go through the trouble of applying to their school of choice.

At any rate, good luck! I would love to hear of the results!

extrapages, thanks for all the help!

don't think it matters if you're already in China - because the scholarship people wouldn't know that. You would have already applied with the US address. And even if you used a Chinese address, we've got people in this thread that still got the scholarship using a Chinese address on their applications

good tho hear this, right now I'm in China and in the present address of the application I'm using the one in China, though is my sister the one who is sending all the papers (because she lives in Belgium).

Dear All,

Thank you for all the information you guys provided me so far in my application for the subject scholarship. I am very glad this forum exists and the people here are not selfish to share tips to get that scholarship.

To the applicants here from the Philippines, I can relate to you when you called the Chinese Embassy and the person answered me that she has no information for the scholarship this year and most likely there would be none for this year.

Well I guess we have to apply for the university directly and let us not argue with that person because we have really no choice to force her to give us information. Either she really do not know or she's just hiding the information. Either case, we have other options to get the scholarship.

God bless us all.

This is my first post, but I just wanted to thank extrapages for all your great contributions to this thread. Since I just signed up, I'm not sure if I can receive PM's but if you're reading extrapages, can you please send me the contact info for your DC contact person? I sent in my app a couple of weeks and I called the consulate office and the person who answered the phone wouldn't check for me to see if they've received my app yet. I was merely told that they would look at it if they had time and if I was missing something, they would eventually inform me... Also, he asked where I was applying from and I said New York, to which he asked why I didn't apply to the office here. Well, I tried, but I couldn't actually reach anyone that knew about this and each time they connected me to the Education Office, no one picked up and it went to voicemail. Three weeks later and no one has yet returned my call. :-

All I wanted to know was if everything is in order with my application!!!

USA, New York

No

Unresponsive to say the least! I had to send it to the DC office.

Went to a local bank, they did it for free.

Yes, I figured maybe if they saw an app for my first choice, they'd think that I was serious about my #1 choice and admit me there...

My personal physician. Xray at the hospital.

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about?

Everything I learned, I learned from this forum! But notarized copies can be done at banks for free and you can also get blood work done at a local clinic for free at those AIDS/HIV centers if your insurance isn't being cooperative.

Any hiccups you had to work through?

Just trying to get the DC consulate to confirm that they've received my app and everything is in order, please help, extrapages!

Wow, this is a great thread, I've read through about half of it in various parts and I'm very thankful for all this information. Also, have recommended to at least three people to apply for this scholarship so I'll ask them to post onto this thread as well about their experiences.

I'm curious if anyone has ever applied for this both being in China AND currently studying Chinese at a university. I'd love to continue my studies here as I've finally reached a level where I feel like I'm actually making progress beyond the everyday stuff, but I won't be able to afford it again next year unless I receive a scholarship to cover the tuition. I could, I suppose, simply not mention that I'm enrolled in a Chinese program here already.

Josu-,

good tho hear this, right now I'm in China and in the present address of the application I'm using the one in China, though is my sister the one who is sending all the papers (because she lives in Belgium).

It should still be OK. Now that we have confirmed that people in China have gotten the scholarship, you shouldn't run into any problems. The only thing I can think of that will keep you from getting the scholarship would be if they ran out of scholarships - because the EU only gives out 100 a year.

---

Bedan Adjuster,

Good luck with everything. How are you applying through the university? Does your university have direct contact to the CSC program? I will PM you the contact information of the person we have on file for the Philippines. It may or may not be the same person. If it is someone different, try to contact them and tell us how it goes!

---

troysmith,

Hope you got my PM. Good luck! Tell us how it goes if you get in contact with the DC embassy. Hopefully, they have your application.

---

moderntime,

I think the people who applied while in China were enrolled in Chinese classes - although I can't confirm that. I don't know which choice would give you a bigger chance, but if I were you, I'd state that I am taking Chinese classes, that I love Chinese, that I love China, that I just found out of the scholarship and would be honored to be representative of the CSC scholarship program, that the CSC people would be making a worthwhile investment in you, etc. etc. etc.

What do you think?

---

I wanted to thank everyone who shares with this thread. I know that it receives many more hits than posts - I would love to hear from any lurkers out there. Has this thread helped you? Is there anything we can do to make it better?