Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Based from the information on this thread from the previous pages, CSC people give more weight to your study plan/motivation letter in studying in China and recommendation letters than your academic excellence and achievements or what have you.

evasiege,

Although I graduated cum laude, I DID have one F on my transcript. That F was for Modern Chinese Film - the only Chinese/China related class in all four years of college. I don't think they really put too much weight on the grades. I also touched about my activism work, but honestly, especially after coming to China - I feel that they just want to hear good things about their country, to read that there are foreigners who are obsessed with China and Chinese culture. Ass kissing works very well and gets you far - but that's in every country, not just China.

---

Bedan Adjuster,

Oh! I thought you meant you were applying through a university in the Philippines! My misunderstanding. Too bad about our Philippines contact (turns out that she's no longer there). Hopefully, you will still get the scholarship. Good luck!

nice article!

it seems like they up the number of scholarships every year! (20% increase from last year) that's good news for us! sadly, it doesn't tell us how those scholarships are divided - by country, by language/undergraduate/masters/postgraduate, by full/partial, etc.

I noticed that the figures are inconsistent. You said that there 100 for EU every year. If that so, students from EU would account for 1,300 because the article says 13% came from the EU.

Oh I'm not really worried about grades or anything, I think I might graduate magna cum laude or cum laude, but just curious about the weight they actually put on it. I did mediocre my first couple years then brought the GPA up when I got in my major.

Anyways, I'm thinking a page or so maybe more for the study plan? I think I can destroy it(as in make it very good) with asskissing, but don't want to overdue if you catch my drift. Also, what is this 'other documents' thing on the app? Can I put papers I have written about China? I have done a couple essays that I thought were decent, but long, and more information based than anything...

Hey guys,

I'm a long time lurker on this forum and especially on this thread. I'm nearly finished with my application. The only things I have to do is to complete my study plan and to find a guarrantor. Extrapages, would you be my guarrantor?

Anyway, here's a little bit of info on myself. I'm applying from Australia to study at HIT starting next semester. Unlike you guys, I'm applying directly to HIT as part of the HIT/Go8 program. Just google it if you want to know more. I think it's still the same CSC scholarship though except there's a lot more emphasis on your academical achievements and you need to be a student at one of the Go8 unis here.

Initially, I tried applying through the same route as you guys (i.e. through the embassy) but couldn't get hold of the consulate staff in canberra. And with all the negative experiences with chinese embassies posted here, I kind of gave up unitl I found out about the HIT/Go8 program. Anyway, the deadline is 31st of March and I've been rushing to complete my application.

It's been such a hassle notarising all the documents. Here in Australia, you have to first notarise the document, then get it authenticated by the aus gov and then take it to the chinese embassy to get it legalised. If you're a uni student, you should be able to get your papers notarised by the uni's legal officer for free (should save a lot $).

I noticed that there wasn't much info for Australians on this thread, so if any of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. Just keep in mind that I'm applying directly through the HIT/Go8 program and not through the embassy, so I might not be able to answer some of the questions you have.

Weirdo,

There's no problem if you are already a graduate. I'm a graduate too. After all, I am applying for a master program and a bachelor's diploma is a prerequisite.

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, there are universities that handle the scholarship applications directly. In my case, I applied to Lanzhou University. Check this link for details: http://sice.lzu.edu.cn/english/upload/1592849.pdf

However, you have a major problem since the deadline is 15 March 2009.

Nevertheless, you should try to search for other unis that are still accepting applications.

jereme88,

Excellent! Finding out that there are many other ways to apply to for the scholarship is definitely good news. It may not apply to everyone, but at least we know the option is there.

Of course, I'll be your guarantor! Let me PM you my details. =]

I'm glad that this thread has helped you. Thanks for coming out of lurk mode.

Anyone know if it is possible to apply for the scholarship in your home country, but go to China before you actually get the scholarship and still be ok if you get selected? I was also thinking about going early and doing a shorterm summer program in June to August in the event that I didn't get the scholarship as to avoid wasting my entire summer. I know I would be forfeiting a free plane ticket if I got the full scholarship, but would they allow me to still attend knowing that I've been in China for a couple months already?