Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Also,

Forgot to mention that I recently found out my family friend who would've been my guarantor in Beijing has since moved to another city. Extrapages, is there anyway I may use you as a guarantor? I hate to ask, but I have been unsuccessful in tracking down other friends that oblige to be my guarantor.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but I've asked a person to write a recommendation letter on my behalf for the CSC scholarship. For the organization, I'm going to put down the Chinese Embassy, D.C, which is the closest embassy from where I live. The person I've asked isn't sure exactly whom to address the letter to -- would "Dear Sir or Madam" be sufficient? And the letter is supposed to be physically attached to the other application materials, not mailed in separately, correct?

I'd like to provide more information about things I've run into but I'm actually pretty far behind in the process. I've been kind of dragging my feet on choosing between regular chinese study and a masters in computer science. Extrapages, you are amazing, this thread has been really helpful. I'll be sure to give some more info as I go through this application process, as a way of giving back.

Oh, and I have a question for ct32385 -- what's this about the deadline being 4/15 in the US? Is that just for PKU or in general? When I called the embassy I was told the deadline (in general at least) was 4/30? Thanks in advance.

yiming,

Yes and yes. It's not really the format that matters - it's the content. And remember, the format we're used to for letters and correspondence is largely "Western" and isn't even acknowledged in China. As long as it's got a date before the deadline, a good recommendation about you written to persuade the CSC scholarship board to give you a scholarship, and has a signature, you are good to go. Send it in with the rest of your application.

I sent in my app about a month ago and the only concern I have is that I think in my personal essay/study plan, I could have talked about how amazing China is a bit more. I simply stated some economic facts about China and how if I were accepted, it would be instrumental in helping me become fluent and hopefully on that end, I would be able to contribute positively to China's continued economic development.

I guess my question is, mostly geared towards extrapages but others feel free to chime in as well, but do you know of anyone who hasn't received the scholarship? I've looked through this thread and it seems like everyone has received the scholarship that's applied for it, but perhaps there is a "survivorship bias" i.e., anyone who didn't receive the scholarship wouldn't have posted the bad news here?

I think overall, my app is pretty strong but if I were to redo it, I would have spent a little more time having a more refined study plan. I guess all I can do now is wait! :-(

Is Hong Kong University included in the options to study with CSC Scholarship?

I am Mexican and I will like to know if there are any Mexicans in this program. I am planing on studying International Business Law. So if anyone knows if I can apply to Hong Kong University with this scholarship I appreciate any useful information or advise.

Thanks!

Luis Marcelo Novo

troysmith,

You should be OK. Really. As long as you were clear in why you wanted to come to China and what you wanted to do, how it would help you, you're on the clear.

There could very well be a "survivalship bias", but it could also be that the majority of the people just don't come back after sending the application as they don't really need to. It's very rare for people to stick around after getting the information that they need.

Good luck. I hope you get it. It would be nice to see you in China. =]

lmnovo,

Yes, there are other Mexicans that have applied in this thread. If they are still around is anyone's guess. Hong Kong is not included. They are trying to attract students to Mainland China. There has been enough "interest" in Hong Kong in Taiwan for some time now.

Ok guys, I'm about to send in my (finally) completed application, but as I was reading through previous posts here I saw many people have said that the Physical exam we send to them must be a NOTARIZED photocopy. Is this really true? Can anyone who didn't get their copy of the physical form notarized yet still got the scholarship please post and let us know? Here's what the CSC application checklist itself says (bold part my addition):

所附材料情况(请在所附附件前划‘X’标明)/Materials Attached (Please Indicate with ‘X’in the Bracket.):

□ 申请表(一式两份)/Two Letters of Recommendation.

□ 两封推荐信/Two Letters of Recommendation.

□ 有关中国院校接受函或录取通知书/Admission Letter or Admission Notice of Chinese Universities .

□ 本人最后学历成绩单复印件(须公证,一式两份)/Transcripts of the Most Advanced Studies (Notarized Photocopy).

□ 本人最后学历证书复印件(须公证,一式两份)/Diploma of the Most Advanced Studies (Notarized Photocopy):

本科/Bachelor’s □ 硕士/Master’s □ 博士/Doctor’s □ 其它/Others □

□ 外国人体格检查记录(复印件)/ Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Photocopy).

□ 来华学习计划/ Study Plan in China.

□ 所发表的文章等/ Articles or Papers Written or Published.

□ 美术作品(本人作品彩照六张)、音乐作品(本人音乐作品盒式录音带一盘)(只限申请美术和音乐专业的申请人)/Examples of Art (6 color pictures) and Music (1 audio tape) Work (Only for the applicants applying for Fine Arts and Music).

□ 其它附件(请列出)/Other Attachments (List Needed):__________________________________________________________

注:每份申请材料最多不超过20页,请全部使用A4纸。

Each set of the complete materials should not exceed 20 pages. Please use DIN A4.

无论申请人是否被录取,上述申请材料恕不退还。

Whether the candidates are accepted or not, all the application materials will not be returned.

The application itself seems to say that the Physical exam photocopy doesn't need to be notarized.

What has everybody been doing?

-Menyawga

menyawga,

I don't remember why we started sending notarized copies. But it's better to be safe than sorry. Since there is only one copy of the Physical Exam form, I think we just sent notarized copies like the diploma. But if the costs are too high for you, you might be okay sending a regular. But who knows. I don't trust that list... there are major mistakes on it. The biggest one being this:

The first should be "Application Form (Two Copies)", not "Two Letters of Recommendation"

So, considering that, I'd be safe and send a notarized copy of the Physical Exam Form as it is one of the most important documents that's required for the visa application process.

I've made the decision that I'm not just going to sit around and wait to see if i get the scholarship or not. I feel like it's out of my hands at this point so i started working on a plan B.

plan B is go to Kunming.

However, i don't want to do anything that might invalidate me as a scholarship candidate, and i remember something about being ineligable if you are currently in china. I'm gonna go find out if booking a flight to kunming after i turn in my app will mess everything up. i'll post what i find, but if anybody already knows....

in regards to the transcript, my university sent me the transcripts in a sealed envelope with a stamp stating "Official Transcript Issued to Student; Not Valid if Envelope Seal is Broken."

So how would I go about getting this notarized? Do you think they could just notarize the outside envelope and that would be good enough?

Thanks.

Philibuster,

Nope. We confirmed that being in China does not make you ineligible. Kunming!

ct32385,

If you asked for two transcripts, you don't need to get it notarized - so you can keep them in the sealed envelopes. But if you only received one, you need to copy it - and you'll need to open it up. In that case, send the original and a notarized copy without the envelope. And it doesn't matter if it's no longer "official" - "unofficial" copies are valid to send as well. The notarized copy is not for the sake of having a copy - it's because the copy goes to the school. They need the transcript also, not just a copy of the sealed envelope.

menyawga,

I don't remember why we started sending notarized copies. But it's better to be safe than sorry. Since there is only one copy of the Physical Exam form, I think we just sent notarized copies like the diploma. But if the costs are too high for you, you might be okay sending a regular. But who knows. I don't trust that list... there are major mistakes on it. The biggest one being this:

Quote:

The first should be "Application Form (Two Copies)", not "Two Letters of Recommendation"

So, considering that, I'd be safe and send a notarized copy of the Physical Exam Form as it is one of the most important documents that's required for the visa application process.

extrapages is online now Report Post

The application form that I filled up does not have an error like this.

I'm looking at every kind of site that lists application details for the scholarship. University sites, the Chinese Embassy site, the Beijing City site, and the CSC site (and application) ALL specifically say "Notarized Copy of Diploma" etc, and "Photocopy of physical examination form". I don't know if I have the time to get it notarized, but this is my last attempt to ask:

Has anyone else sent in their exam forms WITHOUT NOTARIZATION? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

-Menyawga

menyawga,

You should be fine. Send it. If you don't have time, then you don't have time. I've told people to notarize copies just to be safe. And I'm sure that if it is important for it to be notarized, it would state that explicitly on the application.

Hello everybody, long time reader, first time poster...

I intend to apply to an undergraduate program in Chinese Language and Literature through this scholarship however I am currently in my last year of undergraduate law studies (I'll be receiving an LLB around June). I was wondering whether or not I need to send transcripts from my university courses along with my high school transcripts since I'm applying for an undergraduate program (starting from scratch, basically).

Thank you for your patience and replies...

P.S. I really would rather not send my university transcript. :D