Chinese-Forums

Short term in two different places!!! What do you think ?

susana

Hi!!!

I'm going to study in china next academic year 2008-2009

I can't choose between studiyng in Hangzhou or Beijing so I've thought i spend one semeter in each other. What do you think ???

On the one hand, I want to go to BLCU because i know it has a great chinese language program, but one thing that makes me think of going there is that Beijing is really polluted and i will surely find lots of foreign people like me. My goal is to archieve a good level of chinese but i also would like to breathe fresh air. I love green places and hate crowds that's why i've thought hangzhou would be a good choice.

On the other hand, I'm doubting about teaching at Zhejiang University, not sure if its good and If i'll be able to reach my goals there. Moreover, there are less foreign ppl there and i don''t know if they will be westerns, japanese or koreans. I am bit worried about making friends.

Finally, I've thought of going one short term to beijing first and then apply to go to Hanzhou. What do you think?

I am a bit confused, what if i really like staying at BLCU and then i have to go to the other city ? What if i don't like being at BLCU and i have to spend the whole year there?.

What do you recommend me? This my first time going to china.

People going next year please contact me :):help

HI Susana,

The idea doesn't seem so far-fetched. Beijing's pollution is not as serious, or should I say not as dusty in the winter months. Also there is an October break you can go traveling and vist hangzhou for a day or two and visit the university there. They should also tell you how many foreign students they have and how many are European or North American students.

Also there are a lot of English teachers in Hangzhou as well. So these might be the kinds of people you could hang out with.

By being in the two places this could help you in traveling the north and then the south. Hangzhou is a very pretty places and Beijing has 15 plus tourist places in and around the city.

Some drawbacks could be that you will have to jump from one book to another as not all programs use the same texts. Also it takes 1-2 months to get over culture shock and find you way around. If you switch places this could make it hard to make longer friendships.

If you can visit the place before you decide on it I would do that so you know what you're getting into.

have fun,

Simon:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked out BLCU and didn't like it so much, ended up moving to dalian and now I think I'm gonna go to DUT instead. Going to two schools sounds like a great idea... I'd do that if I was planning on being here more than one semester.

-brian