Chinese-Forums

Displaying hanzi in wordpress

Xiao Kui

I recently set up a web page and I want to blog in English with occasional Chinese. I am using wordpress to post on my blog but whenever I input in Chinese it comes out only as ?????

I found some info in the wordpress forums, but it seems geared to people upgrading to a higher version of wordpress, whereas I've newly installed it. The default setting for characters in wordpress is UTF-8 which I am using to input (with NJStar Communicator) so I don't understand why the characters aren't displaying.

The forums at wordpress recommend deleting some lines from wp-config but another page at wordpress recommends I visit MySql where I totally get lost.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and can tell me how to solve my problem , or at least where to start. Is it solved in MySql or the wordpress configuration? Do you know how? Also, is it necessary to change my character set from UTF-8 to GB-2312

It may seem that I should post this on the wordpress forums but there are several similar questions without replies, so I figure i'm more likely to find someone with the know-how here. Thanks!!!

Never had any trouble with wordpress. Some things to try.

Double check that the encoding on both the posting page and the blog itself are set to UTF-8.

Try with another IME than NJStar if possible - I've never used it so I don't know how it works, and I can't see how it would cause any problems but it might be worth trying.

Try the recommendations from the Wordpress forum :mrgreen:

Wordpress used to work flawlessly with Chinese - looks like they've complicated things quite a bit.

Problem solved. I deleted the charset and collate lines suggested by the wordpress forums, and it worked like a charm. I didn't even experience the complications (which discouraged me from trying this in the 1st place) other posters had reported. yay! :mrgreen: