Chinese-Forums

taking (pirated) DVDs back to the states

-葛亚辉-

Well, it's getting close to time for me to head home and I'm wondering what the most current wisdom on this is. I know it's been discussed before, but I couldn't find the proper thread and I'm looking for information esp. from people who have done this recently anyway, so I figured I'd just ask again....

thoughts? feelings?

I bought about 20-30 last time I was in China. I managed to carry them in my suitcase from China to Russia, Russia back to China, and China to the US with no problem. They were also still in the packets they come in. I would imagine as long as you aren't bringing ridiculous amounts back you should be OK.

Hey Guys,

The rule as far as I have heard is that as long as you're taking less than 500 DVDs you will not be a considered a dealer. Having them out of there packaging in albums helps too I think.

There was a Russian American who was caught carrying suitcases full of DVDs back and forth to the US. Actually he wasn't the caught, the FBI caught him boasting on a Russian Prosititute website about what he was doing. Since he was in Shanghai they made a call and the Chinese police picked him up. I think a big fine and 2 years in jail. But this guy was like a wholesaler.

I have taken 300-400 DVDs at different times.

The one time I was stopped was not in the airport. I had to change my flight and decided to take the train to Shanghai to save money. At the train station I hired a porter as I had two big suitcases and a carry one. The Chinese people in the train station flagged it and had us open it. When they saw I was a foreigner they said. Of course a foreigner would have so many DVDs, go ahead. I had like 400 plus in that suitcase. (VCDs too if anyone remembers those)

So don't worry about it.

have fun,

SimoN:)