Chinese-Forums

Wikipedia blocked, again. - Now unblocked!

sthubbar

You usually don't get an error message, just a blank page. The proxy can't help you here as the content (and hence the "bad" words) are the same as they would be from wikipedia.

An encrypted (https) proxy will do the trick (edit: Damn you Adrian, you copied my idea and posted it first so nobody could tell). I don't know if there are any free ones, but the paid one I use, proxify.com (use this link if you decide to sign up, lines my pockets) allows it.

When that happens on Firefox I get a 'connection to the server was lost' message. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think there was a technical discussion linked to on here sometime. Basically the firewall does something like send the server a message saying 'hey, stop sending this, we don't need it' and to your computer saying 'sorry, server says no.'.

You'll also be prevented from connecting to that server from that IP address for five or ten minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I can access it again (not the page about what happened in 1989 in the middle of the city, though, so they didn't completely take down the GFW).

Let's hope that's not their idea of an april fool's joke.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...