Chinese-Forums

Introducing Kunming Buzz

Xiao Kui

www.kunmingbuzz.com

This is a new website I've started where I'm translating local Kunming news that probably can't be found in the China Daily. There are two goals: One is to keep foreigners who live in Kunming or are interested in Kunming in touch with what's going on both here and in Yunnan province. The other is that it's just good translation practice for me.

Most translations are from articles I've found in the Yunnan Daily. So far there are articles abt a local execution and the beating of a female bus driver. I'll post some more positive and upbeat ones once my back stops killing me from sitting too long getting this page set up. :)

They'll be a brief hiatus next week as I travel to Lijiang, but hopefully afterwards posts will be frequent if not daily. Enjoy!!

PS: I did some googling already, but if there's already an English all Yunnan, all news site out there, please let me know. I'm trying to provide something useful, not reinvent the wheel. There is plenty of other stuff out there worth translating. Also, my Chinese teacher told me I didn't need anyone's permission to do this kind of thing - if that's not the case please inform me. :mrgreen:

Good luck with this. I did something similar with the first incarnation of newsinchinese.com, but I was just providing a quick English explanation of the story and a link to the Chinese - the rationale being that plenty of people wanted to read the news, but didn't have the quick scanning skills to identify something that they actually wanted to spend the time on. Quite enjoyed it, but eventually the pressure of having committed to daily updates lead to a nervous breakdown and a spell in rehab.

What might be worth doing is focusing on stories that the 'bigger' blogs - say Danwei, the law and business blogs, etc - will be interested in. A few links from them will bring in more readers and motivate you to keep going.

Roddy

PS Not all of that is true.

• 2 weeks later...

Xiao Kui - This is just a suggestion: At the bottom of the page where you have the full article, it would be great if you included the story in Chinese characters and/or pinyin. That would make the articles not only informative, but also educational from a language learning perspective. A further enhancement would be to include an audio file of you reading the story in Mandarin (if you have access to some tolerable recording equipment) ... just some thoughts.

I'll bookmark this and keep an eye on it. If you can manage to keep this website going without following roddy's footsteps into rehab, I think we may have some collaborative options to discuss in the future. At the very least, maybe an RSS feed or something. Cheers and best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm sorry guys, but a recent career change has kept me too busy and back problems have kept me too sore to sit in front of the computer long enough to update this website, so I'm gonna have to kill it. Thanks to everyone who stopped by, and much encouragement to anyone else who wants to run with a similar idea.