Chinese-Forums

#1 Western supermarket - Beijing

sthubbar

What do people consider the best western supermarket/drug store in Beijing?

I just stumbled upon Shin Kong Place 新光天地 at the Northeast corner of the DaWang Lou subway stop. At the basement of the place there is a supermarket that has the best selection of American food/toiletries I have found. In particular I was able to find Sensitive teeth toothpaste and they have a huge selection of beef jerkey.

I have been disappointed with Wal-Mart. I am a loyal customer of their's in the States. Over here, their selection is not any better than Watson's or many of the other local drugstores. Carrefour also does nothing for me since they are a European brand and I have not found them to carry the American brands I would be looking for.

Two items I have yet to find in Beijing are Chapstick and Mitchum Deodorant, or any decent non-scented deodorant/anti-perspirant.

Any ideas?

Why should Walmart carry US goods in Beijing? They are here to cash in on the Chinese market.

Buy Chinese non-scented deodorant/anti-perspirants. Don't fall for the myth that they don't exist!

Try to go to WUDAUKOU subway station (Line 13) then turn to WEST. There is a traffic light then turn LEFT. On the right side, not far away fr traffic light, you will find so many small store and also SUBWAY restaurant. Between that store (after SUBWAY rest.), there is Western Store. Most of them are food product fr all over the world and some are like detergent, vaseline etc (not chinese brand).

Im not sure what you are looking for is avaliable in this store but why not. The area have so many university. Thats why you will find so many students fr all over the world there.

• 5 weeks later...

Head across to Chaoyang District and try out Jenny Lou's, or April Gourmet. These supermarkets will be a little more expensive but tend to carry more expat lines and imported products from O/S including the States, Canada, Australia, Nu Zulund, UK and Europe. There are an assortment of western style supermarkets in the basement of China World Hotel, The Kempinski Hotel, the Lido etc. These will be even more expensive but you may be lucky in finding what you are after.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

All the ones I know are close to Wudaokouw area.

- Hualian, Located in the U-center, basement. Next to the line 13 wudaokou subway station. They have an import section.

- My store, Located next to Subway close to Huaqing Jiayuan, Wudaokou.

- Lion mart, Located in the Raycom Infotech Park Tower C, Basement. 2 Kexueyan Nanlu, Zhong Guan Cun.