Chinese-Forums

climate change local groups

david lam

This may seem hopelessly naive, but does anyone know of any local/college/university Chinese or foreign groups concerned about the environment in general and climate change in particular? Basically groups that sit around discussing what people can do, and so on. China not being the most tolerant of independent thinking this may mean not, but if anybody can point me in the right direction please let me know?

Cheersaroony.

Start at Greengo.cn - they should have a decent listing of environmental groups and you can see if any match what you are looking for All in Chinese though. Greengo's remit is to cover local groups I think, for foreign environmental NGO's see this. Again, that's not specifically climate change, but might be a place to start.

To be honest I'm not sure how much awareness / action about this there is in China. Generally speaking there are much more immediate, in-your-face issues such as air and water pollution which are likely to get the attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Politically, China makes a big deal about the environment and its efforts to be "green" or "sustainable." As roddy said, the vast majority of people couldn't be bothered with so many more immediate things to be concerned about. However, there are still plenty of foreigners, expats, and well-to-do Chinese who are involved in such activism.

I can't help with Beijing specifically but try the forums at www.shanghaiexpat.com to see if you get any good leads. You could also check with bigger international groups and ask them for references in China. Cheers, mate.