Chinese-Forums

足浴 (Foot Bath)

Ian_Lee

• 2 weeks later...

It seems most Chinese, lest foreigners, don't quite know what "foot bath" is.

It is now very common in cities like Shenzhen. There are many foot bath parlors newly opened.

When the customer enters, they will be led to a nice armchair, sit down and watch a 42-in plasma TV. Then drink and snack is served.

Afterwards a "Foot-bath" master will come and dip your feet into a solution of warm diluted herbal medicine.

After 15-minutes, they wipe dry your feet and start massaging.

The focal point of massage is the spots under your feet.

Why do they massage those spots?

Because per traditional Chinese medical theory, each spot under your foot corresponds to your stomach, kidney, liver, pancrease.....etc.

Interestingly the foot-bath masters say that if you feel painful in that certain spot during the massage, that means the corresponding organ may have problem. (Of course, Believe it or not is up to you.)

This is quite a brand new business. And the first time I heard of it was when Chow Yun Fat revealed that he foot-massaged his Malaysian wife every night about 10 years ago!

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like this is actually a Western "alternative medicine" technique called "Reflexology" that seems to have spread to China. In the West the "foot bath" isn't usually used, just the massage.

If you like a nice foot massage, you might enjoy it; apparently it's pretty relaxing. But it's based on "medical" theories that are just plain silly, and it certainly won't cure you of anything (unless maybe you were suffering from sore feet.)

But back in the Three Kingdoms Period (3th century AD) of China, Hua Tuo (華佗) wrote Zhu Xin Dao (<< 足心道>>) already.

That's interesting. I wonder if the Chinese term originally meant just the herbal soak, and the reflexology is a later addition, or if there is a separate tradition of therapeutic foot massage in China.

what is the source of the labelled diagram of a foot they stick up outside footmassage places?

What does the Zhuxindao talk about?

I find the soak is relaxing but the massage itself is a bit of a challenge. It gives a nice buzz (once they stop!)

Haha, good question (about the reflexory diagram), I wanted to find out the source too...

I done that massage to my grandpa (85-year-old), I really knew nothing about it but I bought a book, and that book said I just had to do the massage following the direction of foot toes to ankle, and from the inner side to the outer side of the foot, then it would be okay for most cases...

I don't know, my grandpa is healthy indeed, but he said after my massaging he felt he could walk more every morning. He said he could walk about 5 km in the morning exercise.

Maybe it helps a bit...

But as the "theory" goes, if you feel very painful then it's the reflexory working behind it. What you have to do next, is to get more massage until you get your "poisonous gas" outside your body~ :wink:

Yeah - there's big cups of water you drink when you're done, and you're supposed to go to the bathroom.

I don't know - I felt better mainly because some middle aged chinese man/woman had stopped sticking me in the foot with a large wooden stick.